canon MX310 is is good?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Looking for a multifunctional for my friend here, decided to ask about canon mx310 looks like it has all features including fax modem. So it can be uses as a fax too. It has auto paper feeder but does it work for scanning ?

Also tried to look for separate cartridge version but can't find any with auto feeder and price tag like 310MX.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
Looking for a multifunctional for my friend here, decided to ask about canon mx310 looks like it has all features including fax modem. So it can be uses as a fax too. It has auto paper feeder but does it work for scanning ?

Also tried to look for separate cartridge version but can't find any with auto feeder and price tag like 310MX.
I just bought the Canon MP530 at NewEgg for $99.00 plus $3.99 postage. Their 310 price is $89. For only $10 more, it pays to get the MP530. It has 5 seperate ink tanks (cyan, red, yellow, and black dye ink plus a larger black pigmented ink for text). It has an auto sheet feeder that works for the fax and scanner. I've only used it for a few days, but, so far, I like it. Does a good job on text, color graphics, and photos. The MP series may not be quite as good with color photos as the MX series, but I have no complaints about the MP530's photos. I don't print many photos as I upload all my photo printing to my local Walgreens and can pick them up in an hour. Their prices for 4 x 6 prints are cheaper than I can print them for. Unless you need an immediate photo, why bother printing them yourself?

I would stay away from a printer with only one color printer cartridge. They don't hold enough ink and can be messy to refill with some cross contamination problems.

Link to NewEgg MP530 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102031

Link to NewEgg MX310 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102257

Good luck whatever your decision is.

Binkie

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The only thing I would say about this is that it's:
a) like the MX700 but comes with tricolour cartridges which to my mind = rip off
b) the MX700 is ok but I'd prefer an MX830 if I was still buying Canons.

If you're in the UK I have an MX700 (minus carts sadly) that's been sat on sale for ages.. Nothing wrong with it, even a new printhead...

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I found MP520 for 9 Euro more than MX310.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
a) like the MX700 but comes with tricolour cartridges which to my mind = rip off
Don't understand, this has three individual colur tanks doesn't it?

This maybe my answer to superceding from my aging MP730. The Black plus C,M,Y is a great combination for general office work.

The MX700 seems to be a replacement for the MP530 here in Australia and has ethernet connectivity

Sad to hear you are leaving the Canon Flock,

Did you ever try this MX700 with a CISS? has Canon sorted out there rubber grommet problems or was this just restricted to their earlier models?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ocular said:
websnail said:
Don't understand, this has three individual colur tanks doesn't it?
Yup... one pigment black and the CMY as individual carts...

This maybe my answer to superceding from my aging MP730. The Black plus C,M,Y is a great combination for general office work.

The MX700 seems to be a replacement for the MP530 here in Australia and has ethernet connectivity
It might be... in fairness I wasn't all that enamoured by it... but then I have an MP830 so I was somewhat spoilt... It does the job but it could be better IMHO

Sad to hear you are leaving the Canon Flock,

Did you ever try this MX700 with a CISS? has Canon sorted out there rubber grommet problems or was this just restricted to their earlier models?
In fairness it's more because I have limited space, sanity ;) and the Canons have just not been reliable enough for me to provide them in schools...

I did try a CIS in the MX700 but never got it right... Sam might have something that works but I opted to kick it into touch. Still haven't sold it though which is frustrating.. Ah well..

You'll probably find me coming back when I have a workshop space and a bit more time available but right now I need the break... :)

muskrut

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
In fairness it's more because I have limited space, sanity ;) and the Canons have just not been reliable enough for me to provide them in schools...
Snail

If Canons not reliable enough then who is. Would Canon be reliable for home use.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
muskrut said:
Snail

If Canons not reliable enough then who is. Would Canon be reliable for home use.
I think he wanted to say canons are hard to setup with all those CIS available on the market

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
muskrut said:
Snail

Smile is right... I've found the Canons to be excellent printers but the way they are designed it makes life so much harder to install and maintain a CIS in them.

I've got around 12 Canon Pixma's that have kits in them... Some work perfectly and are forgiving of anything I seem to do while others, of the exact same model, will bork and cr*p out on me with the exact same kit design and spec'. It's enough to drive you crazy.

Anyone wanting to use a Canon regularly would be best looking at having a couple of OEM sets and learning to refill on a regular basis. That seems to be the best and most reliable approach.