Canon MP600 ink use and printing modes

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The impressions I've gathered so far are: once I select duplex and/or fast mode, the printer will not use pigmented ink. However, I've been using duplex and fast mode since the very beginning and now my pigmented ink has go down to 85% but all other colors are showing as full.

Seems to me those claims are incorrect and do not make sense to me. In duplex mode, pigmented ink is more favorable because it is less smearing; why Canon would prefer dye instead? In fast mode, photo quality is less important and thus no need to use the dye black (lower level models such as MP520 does not even have this dye black tank, just one big pigmented tank); why would Canon insists on using the dye? The pigmented tank contains double the amount of ink than the dye tank at almost the same price; using this tank as much as possible makes lots of sense to me. My MP600 seems have been doing the right way - pigmented ink for duplex and/or fast printing, against to those claims.

Another common claim I've seen here and from other places is: auto duplex and manual duplex result into different printing quality settings. No, I cannot see any difference, even with a magnifier.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Depends on what paper you are using as well. Duplex + Fast Mode + Plain Paper = Pigment ink.

It would be nice the end user had more control over what inks where used.