Canon MP 530 ink tank questions

joyea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am receiving this message:

"The following ink tanks are running low Black [5] Prepare new ink tanks"

Right now I cannot get a Redsetter so maybe some one can answer this for me.

I have refilled a empty PGI-5BK oem tank with Hobbicolors pigment black ink using the German method.

I have a Canon MP 530 that I have had 9 months. I was going to try to wait until the warranty was up but am afraid the empty tanks will dry up if left empty until Dec.

Since it is a low ink warning what I would like to do is put in the refilled PGI-5BK tank to see how it works and make sure I am refilling them right (before I refill the other tanks) and then remove it and put the original tank back in.

If I do this, will the ink monitor reset when I put the old one back in? Or will it have to have a new one to get it to reset. Or what is the best way to do this?

Thanks

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
joyea said:
I have refilled a empty PGI-5BK oem tank with Hobbicolors pigment black ink using the German method.
Was this cart fully expired (empty) or low?. Carts chips are written to and cannot be altered unless by a resetter device. " Empty" (machine says its empty), carts can be refilled , overridden and used , but this is noted in the machine`s memory and Ink Monitoring is withdrawn for that cart. If a new cart is subsequently used, the ink monitoring is re-instated, but the memory of the use of the overidden cart remains within the machine it was overidden in.
If the cart which you have refilled was only reading low when you first removed it from the machine and was still "good", then you can use it to test your refill process, but it will soon fully expire , (even though there is plenty of ink ) , and have to be overidden or removed.
Carts once written to , carry their status from machine to machine.
In my opinion as you are approx 75% through the Warranty period , I would not worry about contravening the remaining 25% , but if you are , then your only solution is to aquire a Redsetter which will allow you to present only "good" carts to your machine.
Swopping low or full carts backwards and forwards is allowed without recording , use of previously "fully empty" carts is not.