Canon iP5300 CD-Print Problem

chrismueller

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hello!

great and helpful forum! been lurking for some time...

i just purchased Canon iP5300 printer and cannot get it to print on cd with the CD-Labelprint software. i keep getting an Error Number 1851 'Printing cannot be executed because the inner Cover is open.' I am asked to 'check that the cd-r tray has been removed' and to 'close the inner cover'. i correctly installed everything and selected to print on cd etc. i double- and triple-checked that of course. now i have no more clue what to do?

The 'Easy Photo-Print' application which came with the installation works fine and i can print on cd from this application... weird.

any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chris,
Are you in the US? If so, I don't believe that the CD/DVD printing function is enabled due to certain patent royalty issues. Need to know your location before I can go further. If you are in Europe/Australia/Asia then the disk printing should work.

Steve W.

chrismueller

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hello steve
i am in germany, so yes - it SHOULD work!
any hints much appreciated.
chris

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chris,
Unfortunately I don't think I can be much help seeing that you are in Germany and have a Canon printer that should be properly enabled. I happen to be one of the Canon users (ip4000) here in the US that have been able to enable the CD/DVD printing capability by mucking with the printer settings (firmware) - actually setting it to Japan. Interestingly though the error messages that you are getting are, as I remember, similar or the same as I was getting when first trying to make it work - it has been a couple years. One possible fix might be to uninstall the printer driver, connect the printer and then reinstall the driver. I don't use any of the Canon software for printing to disks - I have been using Nero Cover Designer which came with a template for the Canon ip printers.

Steve W.

Doug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I am also in the US and converted my Canon ip4200 printer to print CD/DVD's by using the instructions here:http://pixma.damnmachine.com/
The trouble shooting there may be of assistance. Also make sure that you never place the CD/DVD tray into the printer until you are told to do so or you will receive error messages.

Good luck,

Doug