Canon IP5200 - Chip resetter? Compatible ink cart questions.

fznuk

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a PC business and been refilling various printers (on a real small scale) for years....most before chips but have done some resetting on Epsons etc..

having now bought an IP5200 especially for DVD/CD printing i read that the chip wasnt resetable but compatibles can be used at a risk...

Q1: Is there a chip re-setter as yet for this printer? I know canon has really encrypted this one :(

Q2: are the compatible inks just as good as the original ink for printing onto CD/DVD's?

Q3: I havent as yet installed a compatible cart...just ordered one but i was wondering, after installing the compatible ink tank is there no going back to a normal printer (showing if tanks are full or empty) even if you go back to canon carts?

Q3: has anyone ever burnt out their canon head?

Q4: Are the heads easy to obtain and cheap enough if the inevitable happens?

Cheers guys!

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fznuk,... I'll make a stab at your questions;

1. There is no chip resetter that I know of for any of the new Canon CLI-8 or PGI-5 ink carts.
2. I believe the compatible ink carts are just remanufactured and reset Canon ink carts with vendor ink. Should work fine but quality comparison???
3. If you put in a new Canon ink cart you are back to 100% canon funtions including ink monitoring.
3-1/2. Yes I have burn out several nozzles of one color of a i560 printhead. No usable anymore.
4. You can buy replacement heads from Canon for about $35-$60 depending on printer

fznuk

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply :)

My Compatible carts are on the way...and will save me huge amounts, but i dont think i will refill myself unless i can get the right ink bottles for a decent price. (im in the UK)

MY IP5200 has been a great printer...so shame about the chips that canon have adopted since i have always given Canon top marks for print quality and non clogging...unlike all the other printers i have owned which have ALL failed, clogged or were too expensive within the cart dept.

Epson have always failed or clogged on me, HP are ok but carts come with heads so are more expensive...dont even start me off with lexmark the conning gits!

From a PC repair person...i have had more epsons come in and just get thrown away.

Canon have always been my favourite, my small i250 is still going strong with refilling a doddle since you just inject into the sponge...great poster prints still on photo paper!

I know some of the above is irrevelant to the questions but i thought id just let others know my reccomendations and thoughts on different brands.

My first bubble jets were apple stylewriters...im sure Canon made these since the carts are identical to the i250?? (im now PC not apple)

Cheers again for your reply.

also...is there a UK supplier for the print heads if the inevitable happens or is it just best to try and google or contact canon uk? do you know the part number for Canon IP5200? (Great printer by the way...CD direct printing is second to none...even a graphics designer though id got it printed from a print shop!!... no, i dont work for canon before you ask...haha)

Si.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fznuk said:
...is there a UK supplier for the print heads if the inevitable happens or is it just best to try and google or contact canon uk? do you know the part number for Canon IP5200? (Great printer by the way...CD direct printing is second to none...even a graphics designer though id got it printed from a print shop!!... no, i dont work for canon before you ask...haha)

Si.
See here.
http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/61.html

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Get them from inkcessories in the USA on ebay... You're wasting your money buying them in the UK because the exchange rate is a killer right now.