Canon iP5000 how to test print a page

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a USED iP5000 printer. Am told that it works great but that it will need new cartridges. I have no idea how long the carts have been empty or anything. I am conerned about the print head and would like to test it before I buy it.

I have cartridges (BLK 3e, and K C Y M-6 cartridges) so I will be able to test it before purchase. I can bring my laptop as well, just not sure how long it will take to dl the drivers etc.

I thought that I had read that there was a way to print a test page without connecting to a computer. I know that I've done this with some other Canon printers (but don't remember how I did it)

Any help or info appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'd connect the printer to my machine just to ensure everything is ok.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
<Service mode operation procedures>
1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the
Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a
function is selectable.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power
button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the
Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and
Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time
(s) according to the function listed in the table below. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is
pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting
with Alarm LED.)

Time(s) LED indication Function Remarks
0 times Green (Power) Power off When the print head is not installed, the
carriage returns and locks in the home
position capped.

1 time Orange (Alarm) Service test print See 3-4. Verification Items, (1) Service test print.

2 times Green (Power) EEPROM information print

See 3-4. Verification Items, (2) EEPROM information print.

3 times Orange (Alarm) EEPROM initialization

4 times Green (Power) Waste ink counter resetting

You can download full manual here: http://rapidshare.com/files/145455132/iP5200sm.pdf.html

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile - that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much! I am taking along my computer (as Simon recommends) but wanted to have a back-up plan in case I could not get the drivers loaded in an approprite amount of time. Thanks again!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
In the service print you can also see how many pages were printed :) It's nice to help.