Canon IP4500 Annoying Problem

gamecubez

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, been using my Canon IP4500 for a few months now, used the original ink and then switched to compatibles changing over the chip each time

Today the yellow was almost empty so i changed it for a new cart and for some reason no ink appears when doing a nozzle check (only on yellow)
after a few cleans (which i dont think will help as theres not a spec of yellow coming through atall) i thought maybe faulty cartridge so i opened another yellow and same problem no ink atall.

I then thought i would put the nearly empty yellow back in and guess what prints perfect yellow comes though 100%

So what would be the problem cant be blocked printhead or faulty one else the old cart would not work

i dont have any other yellow carts to try apart from the 2 i opened, i have a new order of ink on the way along with a chip resetter from germany but i dont see why that would help

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
What you describe has probably happened to all of us at some time, (and still occasionaly does !), it always seems to occur after you have removed a cart and replaced it , (whether with a fresh one or the original)
Because you used 2 seperate carts and had same abscence on both its my belief that an air lock occurs within the print head . You clear this by doing 2-3 Cleans....if this does not work do 1 deep clean......in most cases this does the trick.

I myself , (after playing around with carts), always carry out 1 clean followed by a Nozzle Check , some refillers advocate leaving the machine 24 hours after a refill to ensure that any air lock dissipates. Then carry out a nozzle check and /or clean
It can also happen that after a cart change /temporary removal, the machine prints ok with no apparent problem.....then decides to hold back on a color, because of (I think ) , a temporary air lock.

If you have tried several carts and carried out several cleans and waited 24 hours and the problem still persists, then you have to consider a print head maintenance clean or replacement of the head due to being fried.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This may be an obvious one but you have removed the tape from the new cartridge(s) before you installed them haven't you?

(ie: the bit that allows air into the cartridge).

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
gamecubez said:
Hi, been using my Canon IP4500 for a few months now, used the original ink and then switched to compatibles changing over the chip each time

Today the yellow was almost empty so i changed it for a new cart and for some reason no ink appears when doing a nozzle check (only on yellow)
after a few cleans (which i dont think will help as theres not a spec of yellow coming through atall) i thought maybe faulty cartridge so i opened another yellow and same problem no ink atall.

I then thought i would put the nearly empty yellow back in and guess what prints perfect yellow comes though 100%

So what would be the problem cant be blocked printhead or faulty one else the old cart would not work

i dont have any other yellow carts to try apart from the 2 i opened, i have a new order of ink on the way along with a chip resetter from germany but i dont see why that would help

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
The problem might be your compatible cartridges. Probably you might like to capture an image of your compatible cartridges. For IP4500 the printing speed is much faster than some of the printer. I helped some seller to test some compatible cartridges, and some with alternative design than the canon original cartridges, the cartridges wasn't able to keep up with the ink and air exchange require for such fast printing. In short, the ink inside the ink reservoir area was not able to feed into the sponge area at the pace the printing demanded.

gamecubez

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for reply guys, funnily enough my new compatibles from Germany arrived today and the yellow works fine now

Im putting it down to poor carts, the new ones certainly seem better made and come with a slot to slide the chip in rather than having to stick it in place.

chip resetter works too so can now finally monitor my ink levels :)

Anita

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Did you use a chip resetter? If you did, where did you get it. I need one for my Canon Pixma IP3500.

Thanks