Canon IP4000 Salvaged For DVD printing.

ganguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
We print a lot of DVD's so our IP5000 (modified to printCD/DVD) and IP 4300 are sometimes both in use and I felt we should have a backup.

At a charity shop I spotted a used 4000 which looked in pretty good condition (minus the cassette tray which I don't need). It turned it on OK at the shop so I bought it for $9.99.
At home I found the Brand X replacement ink cart (big black one) had become leaky and had contaminated the yellow cart. I cleaned up the mess and replaced the black with a Canon 3eBK.

My big success was in cleaning out the yellow cart. It was nearly all black, but about 10 flushes with the solvent that comes with the JETTCO kits, it was clear as a bell. I refilled it and to my surprise it is running well after a couple of weeks. It looks like the previous owner never printed photo mode and gave up when the cheapo cart gummed up the works.

Next step was to buy another disk tray (EBay) and follow the standard instructions to convert the firmware to print DVD's. Here is the link:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Cd-Tray-Store__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I have had a lot of success with tips and info from this site, hope this helps someone.