Canon ip4000 ink feed problem

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use Hobbycolors ink and swap between two carts of each colour as required. I printed a photo yesterday after only using black text printing for the last couple of weeks. The picture was lacking in magenta. Two cleans made little difference. I had a look at the cartridge and it seemed OK and half full of ink so I put it back in the printhead.

I looked at the levels of the other colours while I was about it. Yellow was getting marginal so I replaced that. Did a nozzle check. There was no yellow and no magenta. Did a deep clean and another nozzle check. Still no yellow, but there was faint magenta. No time to do any more last night.

This morning, I switched on and waited while the printer made its usual whirring noises (head cleaning?). Did another nozzle check and results were much improved but still not great.

I had to replace the head a few months ago, because the magenta ink had gone stale (thats when I decided to change to Hobbycolors). Other than that, the printer has had no problems.

From a thread I have read in the past I think the problem may be with the vacuum?/priming? pump. I have searched the site for the thread but cannot find it. Can anyone help please?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
How many times have the two cartridges been refilled? Have you ever cleaned/purged them? Take the cartridges out individually and see if they are feeding ink - squeeze the sides of each cartridge over a pad of paper towels and see if you get ink to drop out of the outlet hole. Sounds like an ink cartridge feed problem to me. BTW I also use Hobbicolor inks.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The yellow cart has been filled, maybe, 5 times.
The magenta is a Hobbycolors that has only been filled twice.
I can't get ink to drip by squeezing the sides of either one, though.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I removed the print head and found the nozzles on the underside soaking in ink.
Washed it and rinsed through. Problem now solved.