canon IP 4200

survivor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
New to printers and would like to know if the Canon IP 4200 or Ip 4300 has the ink chips in them.I am looking for one that does not have them as I know refilling would be less expensive than new carts from Canon.Any suggestions for a printer would be ap-preciated it would be for home use no office and little photo printing.Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
All the new Canon printers have chips in them.

The two most popular used printers on eBay that you specify are the iP4000 and the MP780. The first is just a printer and the second is an all-in-one.

Global Phoenix Direct is an eBay store that had dozens of MP780s for less than $300 a while back and they would ship to many countries. They probably still have several left but I don't know how to locate them. If anyone knows their eBay user name, please post it here.

survivor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info will keep checking sites

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon has discontinued IP4000, IP5000 and MP780. IP4300 is the one that is still manufacturered. It is the best among these 4 printers. But MP780 is a multifunction. So it has the features others do not. But its scanner is not a high end scanner though. The user interface (front panel) of the MP780 is very poor. It will take a lot of errors before an average user figures out how to use it correctly.

survivor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does the IP 4300 use the chip in the ink cartridge so it cannot be refilled and does it prevent user from using non Canon cartridges?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
IP4300 is just a replacement of IP4200 but it has 50% more nozzles and it prints photos much faster than IP4200. It uses the same chipped cartridges as IP4200 does. But the cartridges can be refilled despite that the chips are there and may scare you a little bit. The only real problem I can see is Canon turns off the optical sensor mechanism for detecting empty ink tanks. There is a thread going on now talking about it on this forum. By doing that Canon is inviting a class action. I think Canon will have to release new firware for their printers to re-enable the sensor or they will have to set aside some free print heads to replace blown print heads for some customers eventually.

survivor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Is this reply in regard to my question about the Canon printer? I am a little confused. I see that OfficeDepot has the Pixma IP4300 for $85.oo looks like a good price I think.

Speedy1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
survivor said:
I am a little confused. .
Why?
He confirmed the ip4200 / 300 uses chipped carts. He also told you you can refill them. A quick search would have told you all this anyway. What's not to understand?

survivor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you speedy just wanted to be sure your snide remark is well taken.:p