Canon i960 - print head removing & carriage location

don_elie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Two Questions:
1. After removing the print carts. how does one remove the print head without the use of a hammer?
2. While wrestling with the cart holder, I'd inadvertently moved the entire carriage. Now all I get is flashing green and red lights and a non-functioning printer. Is there anything I can do, short of buying a new printer?

Anyone have suggestions?

The i960 has given excellent service, too bad the operator seems to have fallen short.

Don

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Don,

Do you have the original instructions that came with the printer - they show the lever on the right of the carriage that is lifted to release the print head. I seem to remember that someone posted a copy of a manual showing this - search the forum to find it. Be sure to run the print head alignment procedure any time that you reinstall the print head.

If you moved the carriage with the power on, you may have made the printer lose track of its head position. What happens if you pull the power plug and then plug it back in and turn on the power so that it forgets what you did? There is a fixed, thin, clear plastic strip that runs through the carriage (it has lots of fine lines printed on its surface) that acts as part of an encoder to tell the printer when the carriage moves. Is that strip still in place? Is the carriage still hard to move with the power on (the drive mechanism wasn't broken)?

don_elie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, Grandad35,

I'm aware of the "locking lever" on the right side of the carriage. The problem seemed to have been I couldn't remove the cartridge holder/print head even though the lever was in the "release" position. That difficulty is now solved - 4 pound hammer and cold chisel (just kidding).

Cleaned out the 6 nozzles with canned air and re-installed print head, ink carts, and locked down the assembly.

The thin plastic strip you mentioned is still in place. I noticed also a small red dot on the carriage bed and a small red mark on the inside of the cartridge holder. Just for grins, I lined those up, (since the print head was WAY out of position) one over the other while the carts were out of the holder.

Then I requested a print out of your response and sat here with a very large smile as it ejected from the printer.

All that's left to do, is perform an alignment, and all should be as good as new.

Thanks very much for your help.

Don