Canon i960 photos have magenta overkill

jlm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have had a Canon i960 for over a year. Printed beautiful photos then all of a sudden they all started looking purple or magenta. Have done all of the maintenance cleaning and then finally removed the printhead and cleaned/soaked in water. Still no luck. Printer prints some things on standard paper fairly well but photos are awful no matter what kind of paper is used. I read that it could be the motherboard...so what does that mean? How can it be fixed or do I just buy a new printer. I have used the cheaper ink cartridges from House of Inks for many months and they always printed very good. Appreciate any advice out there.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Change the photo cyan and cyan carts for known good ones, run a cleaning cycle, do the nozzle check, and if it is ok print another photo. Too much magenta can be either a poorly feeding cyan/photo cyan cart, or a clog in one of the cyan channels. Also, did you change any settings? Which ones do you use?

Photoship

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My i9900 did the same thing suddenly last month.
After changing all eight cartridges and my spare printhead . . no luck.

The solution was in the Canon Printing Preferences.
o Under "Color Adjustments" choose the "Manual" radio buton.
o Make sure the "Print Type" is set to NONE.

How mine got set to "Photo" I still can't figure out.

Hope this helps.

fred

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Photoship,

Here is a link to what the settings in Canon's drivers do: (http://homepage.mac.com/renard/ls/Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pdf). Also see:
(http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=625#p625).

"Print Type" is normally set to "Photo" as the default (the printer driver applies the profile), and should be set to "None" when you are printing through a program that applies the printer's profiles outside of the driver (e.g. PhotoShop & Qimage). If your printing software applies a profile and the driver also applies a profile, you get "double profiling" and poor color.

The point is that the proper setting for "Print Type" depends on what printing software is being used and whether it is applying a profile before the image is sent to the printer driver.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jim, I agree with "Photofreek" above. I have an i560 and after 2 years just about everything was coming out with a Magenta cast. It drove me crazy, and I sent endless hours trying to control the printer settings and calibrating my system and creating new print profiles. The answer was none of the above. I had been successfully refilling the same Carts for more than a year and I also thought the problem was the printer or my print head. The real problem turned out to be a bad Cyan cart. Even though it was full of ink, the exit was so clogged up, the printer could not "Suck" sufficent ink to make a decent print. It was always just enough to make the nozzle check look good but that is no test at all. I installed an new Cyan cart and did a couple of "Purges" and all colors came back to orginal. My Digital Photos were back to "Excellent". I am going to post another note on this site about other successful items in hopes that I can repay others. I have learned a great deal from this web site and hope to provide some help to others. My comment on "Purge" above is that I almost never use the "Cleaning" or "Deap Cleaning" functions. This only builds up ink in the waste tank and it you read many other posts on this site you will see how much of a problem that can cause. I have a jpg image that I got off of some web site which is just 6 color bars of Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Photo Cyan, and Photo Magenta. I use any Photo program to print this image to purge and clean the print heads and Carts. If there is a problem with only one color, I crop the jpg image and save it to my desktop and just print that color as big as I need to.

Hope this helps.