Canon i960 color shift

mtquattro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am using refillable inks on Canon i960.
Experiencing very significant color shift into RED when printing on Photo Glossy 4x6.
I have tried all paper settings available with the driver(pro, glossy, etc.) - the results are very slightly different, but all too RED.
The jet test printout looks OK.
Would using Canon cartriges fix the problem?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think it would. Your printer also gives you the option of using your manual colour settings. You can individually add or reduce the amounts of magenta, cyan and yellow. Try reducing the magenta about 20%.....see if that is better.

mtquattro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No, the manual override does not seam to work. I had reduced RED almost to 0, still the colors pallete is very "red-centric".
The intrigueing thing is, that the Utilities-printout of jet patterns is good.
I wonder, if printhead cleaning would be beneficial.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Turn of automatic color management and be sure all special effects are off as well. Manual color adjustment gives you control over color adjustments. Also - depends on which software you print from. If you are using the canon easy-print program it overrides any color adjustments you make. Also need to be sure that you are not doing double color management - with the printer and printing software. Which aftermarket ink are you using? I use MIS inks in my i960 and get a SLIGHT shift to red that is similar to the OEM ink.

mtquattro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I might have screwed the printer myself, when I inserted the BCI-3 Yellow cartrige. I realized the mistake later, when my jet test pattern would not print any YELLOW. I then replaced it with the non-OEM cartrige (G-G), the test pattern is OK, but total color sucks.
Prior to that all was OK in automatic.