Canon i865 printhead moving while replacing inktanks.

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have used Canon i865 (i860 in US) for almost 2 years, and I have always had a strange problem of moving printhead while changing cartrdige. I've had this problem since I bought it, but I never thought of complaining to Canon because it doesn't always do this all the time.
So, I thought it must be a software problem or something.

When I open the top cover, the printhead parks to the middle position, and suddenly in 10-15 seconds it moves itself to the left corner, back to the right corner, and repark the printhead to the middle position. It keeps doing this every 10-15 seconds. Strangely it doesn't always do this when I open the front cover. What I notice is, it will also do this if some physical manipulation done to the printhead area also cause the printhead to move a bit (either caused by replacing ink tanks).

But recently while I tried to pull out the printhead, it suddenly moved so fast that the clamp hits the printer case really hard, and part of the clamp jammed under the plastic cover of the printer case. Luckily I managed to pull it out (with a hard cracking sound). This is the second time I had this horrifying experience, and this time I know I must do something before I ruin the printhead. I met this forum yesterday, and I decided to ask.

Fyi, there was no print queue when I opened the cover. It still happened even when I pulled out the USB data cable. This is the only problem I have with this printer.

Does anyone have this problem ?
The problem was there since I bought it.
Is this a common problem of this printer ?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When opening the cover to change carts in the i960, if left untended with the cover up for a few minutes the head does repark itself. I then have to close the cover and open it again. If you are planning to take out the printhead and have the problem you described, I would suggest that you open the cover, watch til the printhead comes to the center, and immediately pull the plug. After you deal with the printhead you can plug the printer in again and let it do its thing to repark the head.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
sounds like your printhead is not allowing enough time before it parks itself as foto is saying. sounds like a weird electrical/sensor problem. maybe the sensor/switch is wore down or broken? so it gets just enough to move the head to center, but then a slight movement to trigger the sensor/switch telling the printer to park the head. i know on my ip3000, at the far upper right of under the top cover...there is a plastic detent that presses the switch in (head to stay in park mode), when lid opens, detents releases from the switch and head moves to center. I bet the switch is faulty...try pushing it in manually with a small object to see what the deal is.

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
One more thing, sometimes my i865 also does a strange paper feeding. Once in while (not every pages I print), the paper rolls in, then rolls out half page, rolls in, rolls out, rolls in....and the printing starts. Strangely, the final printing position is correct. Is this behavior by design ?

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
that also sounds like the printer is in SERVICE MODE.... and doing i what i think is cleaning the rollers? not exactly sure...but if a certain combination on the power/paperfeed button are pressed, you can enter the service mode and then have the printer do various service options such as waste tank reset, print a nozzle test, clean the heads etc etc etc.

you may need to RESET the printer to factory defaults since u may have accidentaly entered the printer in service mode??? maybe this is why it's doing weird things?

sure somebody here has the service mode documents you can look at for particular printer ...or do a search for your printer model and aquire them in other groups.

Canon PIXMA IP3000 service stuff: (may not work with yours?)

Self Test
This printer has operations that can be performed independent of the computer. To perform one of these operations, hold down the resume button.
Operations Number of Flashes Remarks
Cleaning 1 time ...
Nozzle check pattern 2 times Load one sheet of A4 or larger paper.
Roller cleaning 3 times Do not load paper or load A4 paper. <----------------------this is what yours is doing?

Service Mode
This printer has a service mode for service-related settings and for performing test prints. The operator panel buttons are used to enter the desired service mode.
Service Mode Operations
1) With the printer powered off, hold down the resume button and press the power button.
2) While holding down the power button, release the resume button and press the resume button twice in succession. Now release the power button. The
indicator will blink in green and remain lit in green.
3) Select one of the following service mode functions by pressing the resume button the specified number of times.
Press Resume Indicator Functions
Zero times Green Power off the printer
1 time Orange Service test print
2 times Green EEPROM information print
3 times Orange EEPROM initialization
4 times Green Waste ink counter setting
5 times Orange Destination settings
6 times Green Print head deep cleaning
7 times Green CD-R test print
8 times Orange CD-R print position correction (horizontal)
9 times Green CD-R print position correction (vertical)
4) Execute the function you have selected (except for model setting) by pressing the power button. The printer will switch itself off after performing the function.

Error Codes
Errors will be displayed on the host computer monitor. The host computer should be set to ECP or Nibble mode. Use the BJ status monitor on Windows95/98.
CAN BE CORRECTED BY USER CAN NOT BE CORRECTED BY USER
Blinks Error Blinks Error
2 times No paper (ASF) [1000] 2 times Carriage [5100]
No CD-R tray [1001]
No paper in the cassette [1003]
3 times Paper jam [1300] 3 times Paper feed [6000]
Paper jam in the under guide [1304]
Paper jam in the rear guide [1303]
Front door closed [1250]
4 times No ink [1601 / 1611 / 1612 / 1613] 4 times Purge unit [5C00]
5 times The print head is not installed [1401] or 5 times ASF (cam) sensor [5700]
it is not properly installed (print head EEPROM data faulty) [1403 / 1405]
6 times Inner cover open [1841] 6 times Internal temperature [5400]
Inner cover open (while printing) [1846]
CD-R tray guide closed (during CD-R printing) [1850 / 1855]
CD-R tray guide open (while printing) [1851 / 1856]
7 times No CD-R or DVD-R [1002] 7 times Waste ink absorber full [5B00]
8 times Warning: The waste ink absorber becomes almost full [1700] 8 times Print head temperature rise [5200]
9 times The digital/video camera does not support camera direct printing [2001] 9 times EEPROM [6800]
10 times Automatic duplex printing cannot be performed (paper size not supported) [1310]
11 times Failed in automatic print head alignment [2500] 11 times Carriage lift mechanism [5110]
Access cover open [1200] 12 times AP position [6A00]
13 times Paper feed position [6B00]
14 times Paper feed cam sensor [6B10]
15 times USB Host VBUS overcurrent [9000]
16 times Valve sensor [6C00]
17 times Motor driver [6D00]
20 times Other hardware [6500]
Alt. Blinking ROM
Light in Orange RAM

Serville

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think there might be some electrical problem with my printer. I will bring to Canon service center to see what they say about it.
I find the service code handy for my future reference. I never knew about that before. I put it in my manual just in case I need it one day.
Thank you.