Canon i860 - post cleaning out waste tank help please

tramseyer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Good afternoon, all!

Dad replaced the waste tank sponge etc. this afternoon on my Canon i860. Unfortunately, something else goofed up - the printer is now loud and clunky, and I'm getting 5100 errors all over the place. Usually I can squeeze out a page, but this can't continue. I need a printer this weekend; time, space, and finances are all against me getting a new one.

It looks like the right hand of the timing slip strip film is badly bent (QA4-1053 - the silver thingamabob). It was beginning to bend before we took the printer apart, but now it's a lot worse.

As far as I know, we didn't mess with the carriage unit, logic board assembly, or carriage motor. though we might have jiggled the carriage assembly when trying to get the waste tank free ( I wasn't in the room when he finally got it out - I'm more of a help when I can hold the flashlight in the right place, mechanical I'm not...)

Could this be caused by anything else? Where can I call tonight/tomorrow and order this strip so it will get here and can be replaced?

If I'm stuck getting a new printer, which Canon would be the closest in capabilities and size to this one?

Thanks
Theresa

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Error 5100 refers to a problem with the printhead carriage.

Read post #3 this link.

Then,
Search for 5100
for 'Show Results As' choose Posts (not Topics)
Click "Submit" button

it will give you a list of hits. Read each hit by clicking on 'Goto post' link.
These posts by others about 5100 error might prove helpful.

In the Canon i860 FAQ there is a procedure for resetting the print head, might be worth a try. To find the FAQ for your printer, see this link, enter i860 instead of IP3000.

Hope this helps.
Lilla

tramseyer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks Lila :)

I printed out the forum pages you sent me to and your answer. Dad said he'd help me with the white grease that the one mentions.

My Canon i860 is a workhorse jewel - I am so glad I don't have to give it up.

Theresa