Canon Customer Service In Oversea

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi I like to know how does your Customer Service in your country response to your printer problem.

I am using a Multifunction Printer. When I was doing scanning of documents I realised some text were not very clear as if it was like covered up by something so the scanner cannot pick up the text during scanning.

I find it strange since the document that I scanned the text are clear. I opened up the scanner and observed the surface of the scanner platen glass and realised underneath the glass there were molds. Exactly at the area where I scanned my text. Now whenever I do any printing of what I scanned, the printout where the glass area that has the molds is always unclear. Some part of the glass underneath, it's looks a bit cloudy as if there are many finger prints. There is no way to wipe/clean the glass underneath at all.

I called up the Customer Service in my country and to find out if there is anything they can do to clean the underneath of the glass. Since opening up of the scanner area for Multifunction has to be done by the Canon Service Provider. The officer who attended to me on the phone checked with their servicing staff and replied that it's not possible to clean underneath the glass and brush me off saying that such molds are very common since air gets in. And the molds will not cause scanning to be unclear. So now I am stuck with this problem that I will have to accept since the service provider is unable to do anything at their side on this problem.

In your country, can your Service Provider do anything for you in regards to the dirts or molds or cloudy issue underneath the scanner glass since it's still under warranty?

Just like a spectacles when the lenses get molding or cloudy or have stains , it does impairs the transparency.

Instead of coming with many reason to explain how multifunctional printer-scanner is incapable of being able to clean the glass underneath (since my service provider here is unable to do so), isn't there a way for Printer Manufacturer to give a thought on their product design. Such that the glass can be lifted up slightly for cleaning or maybe some kind of a wiper underneath which we can execute the cleaning without opening up?

I cannot raise this with Canon at my country and it would be pointless also since how far would such feedback be given some thought. Whatever feedback will not reach anyone important or even the designer/engineer. Canon in my country is just the sole-agent that distribute Canon Product here. I don't think they can do anything as well since they don't have a say and I don't think they will feedback to the headquarter of Canon.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
lin said:
Hi I like to know how does your Customer Service in your country response to your printer problem.

I am using a Multifunction Printer. When I was doing scanning of documents I realised some text were not very clear as if it was like covered up by something so the scanner cannot pick up the text during scanning.

I find it strange since the document that I scanned the text are clear. I opened up the scanner and observed the surface of the scanner platen glass and realised underneath the glass there were molds. Exactly at the area where I scanned my text. Now whenever I do any printing of what I scanned, the printout where the glass area that has the molds is always unclear. Some part of the glass underneath, it's looks a bit cloudy as if there are many finger prints. There is no way to wipe/clean the glass underneath at all.

I called up the Customer Service in my country and to find out if there is anything they can do to clean the underneath of the glass. Since opening up of the scanner area for Multifunction has to be done by the Canon Service Provider. The officer who attended to me on the phone checked with their servicing staff and replied that it's not possible to clean underneath the glass and brush me off saying that such molds are very common since air gets in. And the molds will not cause scanning to be unclear. So now I am stuck with this problem that I will have to accept since the service provider is unable to do anything at their side on this problem.

In your country, can your Service Provider do anything for you in regards to the dirts or molds or cloudy issue underneath the scanner glass since it's still under warranty?

Just like a spectacles when the lenses get molding or cloudy or have stains , it does impairs the transparency.

Instead of coming with many reason to explain how multifunctional printer-scanner is incapable of being able to clean the glass underneath (since my service provider here is unable to do so), isn't there a way for Printer Manufacturer to give a thought on their product design. Such that the glass can be lifted up slightly for cleaning or maybe some kind of a wiper underneath which we can execute the cleaning without opening up?

I cannot raise this with Canon at my country and it would be pointless also since how far would such feedback be given some thought. Whatever feedback will not reach anyone important or even the designer/engineer. Canon in my country is just the sole-agent that distribute Canon Product here. I don't think they can do anything as well since they don't have a say and I don't think they will feedback to the headquarter of Canon.
You need to:

1. Risk by cleaning yourself
2. Find some bussiness that will clean for you professionaly
3. If you have warranty demand your scanner replacement or money back

In my country and I read on alot forums Canon warranty is a piece of crap, I have 1538$ new 40D that I bought on 2007 November 27 - The camera had lots of dust inside and hot pixels on sensor brand new. I demanded that my camera would be replaced, instead I was told that Canon can clean the camera and because I needed it for the new year I agreed.

3 Weeks later - The company I bought the camera from replied that hot pixels are repaired but they still see alot of dust on sensor.
3 Weeks later in December - The company I bought the camera from replied that the camera is back from service but they refuse to make any test shots and that they allready sent me the camera I should get it within few days.

I got the camera and was shodked to find that not only the sensor is dirty but inside there is alot of dust - impossible to blow away or clean in home anyway.

2008 January I filled complaint in my country against the company that sold me the camera and demanded that my money would be returned.

There is a law in my country that if a customer purchases a bad quality or defect product and the defect accured in new product or in waranty period and is not customers fault that the customer can:

1. demend replacement of faulty product to a new one
2. demand money back
3. demand that the product would be repaired

Since canon was unable to repair my product I demand money back.
My case was registered and will be solved by 2008 January 28. Don't missunderstant I did not sue the company or anything there is an government instutution that regulates customer and merchand relations in my country.

dust1.jpg

dust2.jpg

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi Just to let everyone have a better idea of what 'molds' I was talking about. This is a picture I found on the net. While I don't have the fog/haze problem the user had on his Epson printer, you will notice the photo on the right that there 2 spots on the middle. That is what I had just underneath the glass and whenever you tried to scan anything, the scanner is not picking the content which you scanned where the glass underneath has the molds. So if you hope to scan and then print, you have that area on the printout that goes missing/uncleared.

00ERnP-26874484.jpg

source of image from this article : http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ERnP

My is still under warranty but my Canon Service Provider at my country already brush me off and said that such problem is common.

A common problem which the Designers of the Printer are not creative enough to think how to make their product much easier to maintain such that their Canon technician is incapable to open up the platen glass scanner area to clean the glass underneath???

Smile, so I am really left to my own to clean it. I can separate the scanner housing from the printhead housing but I couldn't separate the glass area from it's own scanner housing.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
lin said:
Hi Just to let everyone have a better idea of what 'molds' I was talking about. This is a picture I found on the net. While I don't have the fog/haze problem the user had on his Epson printer, you will notice the photo on the right that there 2 spots on the middle. That is what I had just underneath the glass and whenever you tried to scan anything, the scanner is not picking the content which you scanned where the glass underneath has the molds. So if you hope to scan and then print, you have that area on the printout that goes missing/uncleared.

http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/00ERnP-26874484.jpg
source of image from this article : http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ERnP

My is still under warranty but my Canon Service Provider at my country already brush me off and said that such problem is common.

A common problem which the Designers of the Printer are not creative enough to think how to make their product much easier to maintain such that their Canon technician is incapable to open up the platen glass scanner area to clean the glass underneath???

Smile, so I am really left to my own to clean it. I can separate the scanner housing from the printhead housing but I couldn't separate the glass area from it's own scanner housing.

[url]http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/2740_scanner_housing.jpg[/url]
Are these molds white in color? I had successfuly cleaned dust that was more like plastic assembly dust. I cleaned by constructing a device to suck the dust out from scanner.

You can insert the tubing by finding a small hole somewhere or by drilling one, that voids your warranty and you will need to suck the plastic shavings that are created as you drill the hole.

You will need a CD-ROM audio cable like this:
20070626142418.jpg

You must remove the wires and leave only the tubing.
The tubing is very flexible so to navigate inside the scanner you can insert into the tube a wire like this:
2-cut-wire.jpg

To suck the air I used my vaccum pump you can use a 50cc syringe or something like that, if you will use a syringe get yourself a friend who can help you to because it's very delicate work so will not be able to keep the tube steady and suck air at the same time.

I would go against opening the case because you need a clean room to not introduce more dust than you clean.
If the stains can't be cleaned with suction construct a device with tiny microfiber cloth and clean one spot a time like with vaccum tube.

Also you still have warranty try to read your country laws I think you can demand your money back if they refuse to do repairs also.