Canon Chipped Cartridges TRY THIS

Kamikaze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The most interesting comment from Canon in the "AtlasCopy Letters" (http://atlascopy.com/pixma.htm) was...

"However, you may be able to circumvent the new ink tank system by refilling the ink tanks before you receive the low ink warning message."

The new chipped printers, I think, get this "low ink warning message" from a reflector that is on the bottom of the cartridge. This reflector, is unseen when the tank portion of the cartridge has ink, but becomes visible to the printer when the ink is empty in the tank portion of the cartridge.

Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to never let the printer see that the cartridge is empty by blackening or taping the bottom of the cartridge at the location of this reflector. A low tech approach, if this works it's LOL funny. I don't have a printer with chipped cartridges so I can't test this theory. It also requires the manual monitoring of the ink level in the cartridges to prevent total loss of ink and possible print head burn out. But perhaps it may prevent the cartridge from ever being tagged as empty.

The wildcard in all this is the reportedly sophisticated nozzle fire counter.

Perhaps someone with a chipped Canon printer can put this idea to the test and report back to this thread.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Kamikaze said:
Perhaps someone with a chipped Canon printer can put this idea to the test and report back to this thread.
Thanks Kamikaze, but this was the first thing I (and others) ,tried when first getting the 4200 a few months back- no joy !
I never allowed the carts to even run low, i refilled at 50%. The carts appear to use the number of nozzle fires mainly to determine ink status regardless of how much is in the cart. The prism is thought to be a fall back mechanism if the cart empties itself accidentaly, to save the heads from frying.

If the cart/chip is told that it has reached its alloted number of firings....then it becomes empty (and defunct) regardless of whether the prism is clear or not.

Kamikaze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Oh, Well. I guess I am a little behind the times. Thanks for the reply.