Canon 525/526 ink suppliers?

Mattyinhull

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm sure its already been covered, sorry if this is the case but I was wondering if anyone has/knows of a good cheap compatible cartridge seller on Amazon or eBay etc? I've refilled a couple of times but I've gone through 3 print heads (even though I was running nozzle checks on a regular basis, the print heads just clog up and become unblock-able) and now have a refurbished printer on the way and I don't want to be ruining this one.

Cheers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mattyinhull said:
I'm sure its already been covered, sorry if this is the case but I was wondering if anyone has/knows of a good cheap compatible cartridge seller on Amazon or eBay etc? I've refilled a couple of times but I've gone through 3 print heads (even though I was running nozzle checks on a regular basis, the print heads just clog up and become unblock-able) and now have a refurbished printer on the way and I don't want to be ruining this one.

Cheers.
There are hundreds of cheap Canon compatible cartridges available all over the web
not just on Amazon that will suite your needs the cheaper the better.

You can pick up a complete set of 525/526 compatible cartridges, ink included for $6 or $7 with free delivery
which it about the same price as one OEM cartridge; they are a real killer bargain.
I am of course taking the Mick; nobody in their right mind would buy this trash would they ? :hide

My advice to you is to just stick with refilling your OEM cartridges
and your print head may actually last longer than a couple of refills..

Mattyinhull

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi "The Hat" I've refilled numerous times using OcktoInk's ink and as I said, also ran a nozzle check every couple days... but I still got blocked print heads. I'm just looking for a good/cheap ink supplier to cut down on the costs I've been having with regards to the heads. The printer I've been using is the IP4850 and the printer was always alongside my computer but have now bought a refurbished MG5250 mainly for the print head. The MG5250 can now be placed elsewhere but I don't think that was my problem. Martin from OctoInk was brilliant last time I had a problem and helped me resolve my issue at the time.

I'm just wondering if it maybe better to continue refilling but make some solution to put inside some "cleaning carts" and maybe run deep nozzle checks with the cleaning carts every other refill maybe? Any thoughts on this? I have IPA but what other ingredients would I need?

Thanks for your help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK lets start again you say you have refilled many time and that you run nozzle checks regularly,
and your print head still got blocked up.

What I can take from that is maybe your looking in the wrong place to solve your problem.

Losing a couple of print heads to electrical damage is more than just a coincidence and seeking to condemn
either your inks or your many print heads is just diverting the blame away from the real problem.

First off it is quite possible that you have a major problem with your cartridges, because poor ink flow
from any one or more of your cartridges can mask itself extremely well as blocked print nozzles.

Doing nozzle checks regularly are a great way of finding out if you have any clogs in any of your nozzles
but it wont tell you if the print head is suffering from ink starvation.

Before you end up with another possible dead print head you should completely reappraise your filling technique
and see if there is anything you can do to improve it sufficiently enough to make sure you have cured the ink flow problems.

All of the above may sound harsh or condescending but I can assure you its not meant to be,
I am only trying to get you back to printing normally without any more problems coming to hit you like a bus,
printing is suppose to be fun and enjoyable but not as expensive as you have been finding lately..

Mattyinhull

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Don't worry Hat, I've been around browsing this forum for a long time I know you're here to help :) To be honest I've only used 2 sets (one set filled the German method and the other top filled) of carts over a 2 year period maybe its one of those that is in fact the problem. It does make sense as the problem is always with Magenta. Before the problem though, my nozzle checks always came our perfectly, wouldn't ink starvation show any missing ink on them?
Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mattyinhull said:
Don't worry Hat, I've been around browsing this forum for a long time I know you're here to help :) To be honest I've only used 2 sets (one set filled the German method and the other top filled) of carts over a 2 year period maybe its one of those that is in fact the problem. It does make sense as the problem is always with Magenta. Before the problem though, my nozzle checks always came our perfectly, wouldn't ink starvation show any missing ink on them?
Thanks.
OEM Cartridges maybe the thing since sliced bread for refilling but they can and do get tired
supplying enough ink to keep the print head in the manner it is a custom too.

It is wise to watch out for the slightest drop in print quality while printing
as this is usually the first sign of inadequate or poor ink flow.

Giving your cartridges a good purge from time to time is a great way of bring them back to full health again
so therefore it is an exercise that pays off in spades handsomely and well worth doing.

Nozzle checks use so very little ink and cannot therefore put enough demand on your cartridges to show any drop in output,
the nozzle check is directly related to the print heads performance and has nothing to do with the cartridges performance.

It is for that very reason, why is it recommend to run weekly or fortnightly nozzle checks
because it uses far less ink than a normal head clean does and it insures that you can print in confidence
that lovely photo they way you planned, (Clog prevention).

Cartridges refilling, cleaning and maintenance are totally separate to your printer that is why
Canon say that anything other than their cartridges (Not refilled that is)
are guaranteed to perform in your printer every time for the very same special photos.

So get your cartridges right and youll never have another problem with any other print head from now on
and you should never have a need to take it out of your printer to clean it again.

Cartridge refilling is extremely easy thing to do and any guy can do it but
keeping them in that working condition take a bit more taught and forward planning,
just like a garden the best looking ones need that bit more maintenance to stay that way.

Happy careful Refilling..

Mattyinhull

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Haha OK Hat, you've convinced me... I'll clean the cartridges completely and order a new batch of ink from OctoInk. Fingers crossed my keeping my eyes on both the cartridges as well as the printhead (and print outputs) will solve my problems! Thanks again!