Can I Print On Reverse Of Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper?

DaveH

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have purchased the above paper in 4x6 I am very pleased with it's printing quality when using the right profile.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had success with printing on the reverse of these?

I tried a couple of times today and had very bad results, it would not dry properly. Using different settings in the printer preferences can improve it but it's not perfect.

I know this sounds like a funny thing to do but it would be very useful if I could do this as I need a picture on the glossy side and text on the reverse.

I am using a Canon Pixma IP6600D. It works using Canon Photo Paper Pro but these have papers have 'Canon' embedded on the reverse.

Thanks.

Dave.

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try using Plain paper/draft mode. Less ink, less to dry and smudge.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Most photo papers don't have an "ink receptive" layer on the back. They have a simple polyethylene coating that repels ink and will give horrible results (as you have found). If you want to print on the back, look for papers designed for 2 sided printing (e.g. http://www.atlex.com/epson_paper/double_sided_inkjet_paper.htm).

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 is correct. To print on both sides buy two-sided paper. I am not familiar with the Ilford line. If the "paper" is like Kirkland, some Canon papers, and the Inkpress papers I regulaly use, it is not paper at all, but a non-woven plastic fiber, OR there is a layer of "paper" in a plastic sandwich, depending on the brand. If you look at the back of a piece slanted under the light you can see that it is very uniform. Rip about 1/2" gently into a Kirkland paper and you will clearly see the laminated plastic surface pulling away at the rip.

DaveH

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I will get some double sided paper.

Thank you all.