Buying a new printer for me + another

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
HP is hands down the easiest to refill since you don't even have to drill holes in it, at least for the integrated cartridges. Also keep in mind the newer Canon 521 and now 526 printers are designed to waste ink, and boy do they waste ink with looong "cleaning cycles" every time you turn them on and in between every few color prints plus if you refill the cartridges without resetting it the cleaning cycle frequency seems to increase and the printer remembers it. Canon is really going after the refillers too with the 526 series and their opaque cartridge so you can't even manually monitor your ink levels any more, it's 226 in the US but same idea. And if you let these run out you're going to have to buy a pricey new print head. At least with the cheaper HP's if you mess up a new cartridge comes with a brand new print head. As far as resetting cartridges, if you followed the evolution of Canon printers to the BCI series to the CLI's you'll find out resetters took almost the whole generation cycle to come out, now with the 526/226 everyone is still waiting for the resetter for these cartridges, and the resetter is an absolute must if you want to refill the OEM's safely especially with opaque cartridges.

I don't recommend the HP's with individual colors because they're pretty much like the Canon's and have opaque cartridges too, they share almost the same type of construction and getting aftermarket refillable cartridges can lead to ink flow issues, OEM carts are the best. And if you mess up the print head on the individual cartridge HP they're nearly impossible to find replacements for. If you must have individual colors definitely go for the Canon but read up on Canon refilling methods here very very carefully, or you can run into bigger headaches than your HP tri-color ever gave you. I speak from experience owning HP, then Canon and now Epson.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am going to be carefull this time...
Most local stores here dont tell you the ink brand however i found one that labels their ink with OCP.. i read the topic here about OCP and they claim that they are decent.
If they suck i would rather buy from the internet.
I want individual colors

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Parhs If i buy CANON mx870 which uses cli521 and pgi 520 bk, is bad choise?? 3rd party refillable cartidges with auto reset chip are good or not ??
Get yourself the MX870 with the 520 cartridges and a resetter, theyre easy to fill and you should have no problems eider with the OCP inks.
Only refill your original cartridges, not compatibles therere the best and wont let you down.. :)

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
It's difficult to diagnose without actually having the cartridge in my hand it could be a combination of both you could have a small stubborn bubble in the ink path brought on by running the cartridge dry and when flow demands are high the poor quality ink with it's higher surface tension just can't make its way past the bubble fast enough and you get banding issues. The only way to tell for sure is to literally blow or suck out almost all the the old ink but leave enough so it doesn't actually run dry and introduce new air into the print head then buy a known good quality ink and inject it into the cartridge. The blowing of the ink from the top or sucking it from the bottom usually allows the cartridge to prime properly getting rid of any bubbles but its tricky and takes practice to know when it's almost empty but not all the way empty. My best suggestion is buy a new OEM cartridge, get a good third party pigment ink, and a squeeze bottle with needle. Then you'll be all set to refill yourself. You'll bypass your iffy quality vendor, have a known good quality ink for probably less money than your vendor charges, and you control the quality of your refills. Again I state this with as much importance as anything. DO NOT LET THE CARTRIDGE RUN OUT. Just keep topping it off every couple weeks and you'll be printing non-stop with the same cartridge. My HP 95 cartridge is going on almost 2 years now just fine as proof of how durable the HP cartridge is when refilled properly.
After putting the clogged head within windex equilivment for about 1-2 hours things got better but not perfect.. I had flow issues.. Then i did again a nozzle check and although at text the problem was not obvious i got non printing nozzles.....
Then i used something as a sucker and sucked 1ml . After that i printed several B&W pages with great success (if 100% is printers perfect it was about 96%)
Nozzle check was always good only 1-4 nozzles clogged.
I am going to try to an old HP printer now i have:)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That's good news you were able to recover almost all the print heads. Sometimes the other ones come back after a while, sometimes no. But now that you know how to fill the HP's when you do get a new cartridge you'll be able to keep it filled. My two year old cartridges still show all nozzles in a nozzle check printing just fine.