Blotches on printouts

marshian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
All my printouts have regular blotches of colour over the entire page. I have replaced all toner cartridges but problem still persists. I have been on the Lexmark website and have done all they suggest and all of the read-outs on the printer regarding the cartridges, PC's and all other read-outs all say OK. Please help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
marshian said:
All my printouts have regular blotches of colour over the entire page. I have replaced all toner cartridges but problem still persists. I have been on the Lexmark website and have done all they suggest and all of the read-outs on the printer regarding the cartridges, PC's and all other read-outs all say OK. Please help.
As you have given us very little information to go on other than your current problem
it will be difficult to make any recommendation to you sorry.

Tell us more about your printer make model size etc.
the more basic information you give us the better the answers will be hopefully.

Have a look at this post, it will give you a general idea what we are looking for..
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=54004#p54004

marshian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for responding The Hat.

My printer is Lexmark c522 colour laser printer approximately 4 years old.I have been into the menu on the printer and it says that everything is 'OK'.
I have also performed a 'Self Test' in the Configuration menu and also did a 'Print Quality' which printed out 5 pages, all with the markings in the same place on all pages. These are much like the ink-blot tests.

As I carried on using the printer with the previous toner cartridges in, which were showing as 'low toner', could I have damaged something? These print-outs all have the same markings in all the same places.

Also the toner cartridges are not OEM but have been accepted by the printer as has the previous Black cartridge which has been installed for more than a year. About a year ago I bought an inkjet printer which I have been using to print my invoices and that is the time when I stopped using the c522 because it was low on toner. If I remember rightly there was no problem with it then. It was only when the inkjet (HP Deskjet D2660) stopped printing properly (it would only print the headers and footers which are in green ink and wouldn't print the actual invoice which is black) that I started to use the c522 again.

I ordered the cheaper none-OEM cartridges and they came 2 days ago and were fitted that day. The resulting print-outs were the same as with the previous toner but were much heavier colours when printed making them useless to send to my clients. The invoices from the previous cartridges were much lighter and I told some of my clients that it was Christmas decorations.

I do hope you can help, The Hat, and thanks for replying.

PS I had a look at the post you suggested. Most helpful, thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your 4 year old printer certainly doesnt owe you anything, and that maybe the root of your problems.

The blotches youre experiencing may have been caused by you or someone else by handling or coming in contact accidently
with the toner drum in some way or another and careful cleaning of it can bring it back to life again.

Please be aware that it is not easy to clean a toner drum, latex gloves should be worn to prevent any further contamination
by handling and only use alcohol and cotton buds to remove the visible stains.

But the most obvious answer to your problem could be the toner drum itself, it may have just plum worn out
and has reached its lifespan limit of printouts and a new one would be needed in that case.

Off topic, your HP printer will probability only need a new black cartridge to start working again.

When using a laser in an office environment its sometimes better to print your headers and footers in colour on an inkjet
and then reinsert them into a mono laser to output your invoices that way.

It can be a much cheaper option to use a mono laser than solely using a colour laser for all your office printing needs.

marshian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your help. I'm not sure if I'm up to cleaning the toner drum so I will see what a new one costs and if it is easy to install.

Thanks also for your help with the HP printer.

I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again for all your help The Hat.

mason1985

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just had to replace an Imaging drum on a 4500 because
it was leaving vertical bands plus some minor ghosting 6 inches below the
original in the band.