Black ink type for brother DCP J125. Dye or pigmented

gertakari

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brother DCP-J125 and just bought a pack "Refillable Ink Cartridges". I thought the 4 OEM colors (black, yellow, magenta and cyan) use dye ink, but a seller has confirmed to me that the black color is pigment ink. Is this correct?

Black: pigmented ink

Color (yellow, magenta and cyan): Dye ink.

If that is true, that mix is good?

Sorry for my English.

Spitfire

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey,

If the pigmented ink is oil based you may have some stains, if both are water based its all good.

gertakari

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer Spitfire.

I found the answer on the OCP website.

Black ink is pigmented colors DYE. The two types are water based ink.

You seem good prices these? (offered by the OCP distributor in my country)

Black pigmented IJBKP45: 0,5L = 58,20
Colors dye ink (each one) : 0,5L= 31,58

As I do not live nearby, I have to pay to transport 10 . They do not sell less amount than 0.5 L

Sincerely and can buy cartridges for 3 , I think it is not cheaper. Whereas black cartridge has 30ml and OCP boat 500ml, I can make about 17 full charges.... Any online site where I can buy this ink more cheaper?

Regards.

luci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Remember original Brother LC-61 cartridge is not refillable you have to use refillable cartridge

gertakari

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes. I have bought refillable cartridges short version.

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
luci said:
Remember original Brother LC-61 cartridge is not refillable you have to use refillable cartridge
Sorry to tell you this but they are refillable, Been doing them for years.

It Depends on what part of the world you live in as to what type of ink goes in. The Americans use Pigmented ink for their Black us people down under use Die based ink.

You need to very careful what you put in. If your printer takes the die based ink and you put pigmented ink in you run the risk of clogging your print-head. But if the printer takes pigmented ink, it will take both types of ink no problems.

gertakari

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi ian,

Thanks for your answer.

I found videos where recharge the original cartridge. I cleaned the black (courtesy that came with the printer) and I have done recharge smoothly.

The ink still do not have it 100% clear. I clean the cartridge and I removed the excess OEM ink. It seems that is pigmented (this ink is not transparent). The OCP website says its compatible cartridges (LC985BK) use pigment ink. The InkTec brand, use DYE ink for all colors (including black).

I'm from Spain.