Black ink bleeds into color cartridge on MP780 printer

Edward

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon MP780 printer just over a year old and out of warranty. Just recently, after sitting for a day or two, the black ink started bleeding into the yellow cartridge. I replaced both black cartridges, but after a few days it happened again. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Could the cartridges be bad? I have purchased from the same manufacturer (after-market) for years with never any problems before.

Deep and regular cleaning cycles can clear up the problem temporarily but it happens again after a while. Should I try a water cleaning as suggested on some sites? I actually don't understand how cleaning could help with this problem. The printer prints very nicely until this problem recurs, then a nozzle check shows the yellow band all in gray (but no streaks), just as you'd expect if a yellow cartridge had black ink mixed in.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It may possibly be a leaky black cartridge. To prove the point, try what I do when I refill. Blot the outlet and leave it uncapped. Then suspend the cart just above a piece of tissue and leave for five minutes. The cart should not shed a single drip during that time.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Edward said he has replaced the cartridges and still has the problem. This is probably a leak inside the print head assembly. You should still call Canon and see if they will replace it for you still. Just tell them it took time for you to realize the problem is an internal leak in the print head. You had the problem before your warranty expired. I would expect Canon to be very supportive and send you a new print head. Good luck, Edward.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Are these Genuine Canons or compatibles? Might be worth trying a genuine BCI-3 blk to see if the compatibles are defective. If it still happens, You'l need a new printhead.

Best of luck!