Best course of action for my iP4200 Canon

sillymellon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks in advance. I have my first warning of low ink (iP 4200). I have never refilled anything before, but would be more than happy to try some company's refill kit or any suggestions here. I also have searched the forum (and others), but need some over-all-summary (sorry if I am missing something; just point me to the link), please to understand what the current collective knowlege is. (Canon, can you be this mean to the people that buy things from you?) - Steven

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You don't say where you hail from, but if you're in North America Atlanticinkjet is a popular vendor for chipped Canon carts.
I use un-chipped carts for my older Canons so I can't personally comment on Atlantic.
http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/inkjet-products-canon-PIXMA-iP4200.asp

One bit of advice that I think is sound is to use OEM ink during the warranty period and then switch to non-OEM after that, if desired.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jflan - In the $100 or less level of printers I definitely recommend that you forget about the warranty and refill as you original carts are in need of more ink. Just a few sets of refills and you've saved more than enough to buy a new printer if your original printer fails. Just use good quality inks like IS, MIS, Formulabs, or Hobbicolors (if all make inks for the new chipped carts) as reported by participants on this forum.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Refilling can be messy when you are a beginner, but I still recommend that you give it a try, since these carts are not difficult to refill. But, if you don't want the hassle of learning refilling techniques, there are very cheap compatibles out there if you are willing to remove the chips from the original Canon carts and put them on the compatibles. If that is a drag, you can always buy chipped compatibles at a discount from Atlantic Inkjet.

Best of luck!!