BCI3ebk leaking thro printhead on Canon MP760

jandaco

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have had the Canon MP760 for over a year. I used the original cartridges then Inkrite compatables then refilled some and more recently changed to Inkcycle which supplied compatables for my HP printer. Several months ago I put in a refilled 3ebk cartridge (IRefilled)and was surprised to come back next day to find it empty. The ink was presumably in the waste area as there was no mess elsewhere. I decided not to carry on refilling as compatables are so cheap so I dried the printhead and replaced it with an Inkcycle compatable cartridge and all seemed well but about a month ago I started getting no text printing and the printhead was covered in black. I dried the ink and reloaded but the problem reocurred. I then carefully cleaned the head under running hot water, allowed it to dry and tried again. Still no luck. Taking out the printhead I put in the cartridge and could see the ink running through. I have trawled through the forum and checked the rubber seal the cartridge itself and found nothing obvious. The Inkcycle cartridges seem to have a single sponge not two. I don't have any OEM cartridges to compare with. I am loath at this stage to just put in a fresh cartridge because of all the mess. Could it be the ink? Should I try a different make of compatable or get OEM? There is no problem with the other colours.

Cheers

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If it leaking through the printhead while it is parked, then all that ink has gone to the waste ink area,.. or the bottom of your printer,... which will cause you another problem someday. I have no information about the brand of ink or carts you are using,.. but there is plenty of information about what happens with bads carts and cheap ink. The BCI-3ebk is supposed to be "Pigmented" ink which has a very different viscosity than Dye ink. If the company you are dealing with is selling you Dye ink then that could be a problem. The best answer is to buy good ink carts like Canon, and buy good Pigmented ink and refill yourself. I use bulk ink from Atlanticinkjet.com and I have never had a leak problem with that,... knock on wood. I bought a compatible cart from someone once and it leaked into the printhead and contaminated all the other ink carts and they all had to be replaced. From now on I stick to know good supplies. There is just way to much junk out there.

jandaco

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have tested the ink 3Ebk and it does run so I posted result to that thread. The waste tank problem is something else. Are there any instructions/ photos on taking a Mp760 apart and resetting the waste tank warning? (when it comes!). I'd better get some Canon carts and ink. I had been refilling succesfully till I had one leak and then went to Inkcycle refills as the easy option. Obviously not the right choice! Cheers.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm not sure about specific instructions for the MP760 but you can learn alot from going to the Inkjet FAQ's and the two links Nifty-Stuff.com and Neil's Inkjet Page at the top of this page. Neil's page has the topic: The DREADED "Ink Waste Tank Almost Full" Problem--- SOLVED. Go half way down this very long page to get to WASTE TANK ALMOST FULL or FULL ERROR MESSAGE PROBLEM.

jandaco

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I'm still not getting this solved. I returned the Inkcycle carts and their customer service chap said We fill the carts with canon compatible ink it should be fine. I had pointed him to the forum thread on this.
While waiting for some new carts I left the machine for a few days with the 3EBk inkways flushed clean but the other carts in place
I have today got some Jettec compatibles and it leaks. The nozzle check was Ok but 5 mins later black ink all over the printhead face!I cleaned the head with head cleaning fluid still no good I have now given it a good flush under hot water and drying it.
I have one other compatible cart to try tomorrow.
I have also bought a Hobbicolors refill kit but that will not be here for a few days.
I got a Dx 6000 Epson to keep me printing and their inks do not run and they supply ink direct at a not too outrageous price but we shall see how much they print. I still prefer my MP 760!

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use Hobbicolor ink in Hobbicolor and OEM BCI-3e carts in an ip3000 and ip5000.
Neither the original formula WC-3eBK pigment nor the newer PMD-BK leak through the head.
I have used a 50/50 mix of pigment black and photo (dye) black in the 3ebk carts and there are no head leaking problems.

jandaco

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The print-rite cart 3Ebk from B&S worked ok for two days then there was some leakage but not from it. It was the Bci6bk! Obviously the carts have been in and out frequently and I had not noticed before but the rip off tab had not cleared the air inlet port. So maybe I have been looking in the wrong direction as if the BCI6Bk was sealed any temp change would cause a leak? As is often the case perhaps there were two problems. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
No Hobbicolor kit yet but if it works I won't try to fix it!

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
If it leaking through the printhead while it is parked, then all that ink has gone to the waste ink area,.. or the bottom of your printer,... which will cause you another problem someday. I have no information about the brand of ink or carts you are using,.. but there is plenty of information about what happens with bads carts and cheap ink. The BCI-3ebk is supposed to be "Pigmented" ink which has a very different viscosity than Dye ink. If the company you are dealing with is selling you Dye ink then that could be a problem. The best answer is to buy good ink carts like Canon, and buy good Pigmented ink and refill yourself. I use bulk ink from Atlanticinkjet.com and I have never had a leak problem with that,... knock on wood. I bought a compatible cart from someone once and it leaked into the printhead and contaminated all the other ink carts and they all had to be replaced. From now on I stick to know good supplies. There is just way to much junk out there.
Trigger,

Do you know who manufactures the bulk ink for Atlanticinkjet? I can't seem to find that information on their site.

Thanks.

binkie

jandaco

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I finally gave up and got a new printhead from Inkcessories. I then took the old one apart as the yellow had missing lines and the blue was now cross contaminating. There was no visible problem and on reassembly it worked as before ie I had obviously damaged some of the yellow jets and the seal may have been damaged by the cleaning attempts. However it was interesting to see that it was possible to take it apart and not break anything thanks to the forum guidance. Note that after grinding off the stubs I had to very carefully cut some silicone used at the base of the ribbon.
The hobbicolor carts are being used till I get canon originals . Hopefully my MP760 will now be OK and I shall be taking much more care with carts and ink! The Epson has worked fine but my Canon does so much more and more quietly!