Alternatives to Canon Pro-1 inks?

anthonygh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro -1 Epson R3000 - two
I have to disagree with you on the R3000 print quality....the first thing I did when I was given the pro 1s was to check the quality against the R3000s I own.

I admit the test is somewhat superficial as the Epsons are calibrated and I had to wing it a bit with the Canon (but I did have the Pro 9000 mk2 for several years and have some experience with Canons). I printed the same images on both and I think anyone would be hard put to say which is the 'better' print (although there are very minor (mainly colour) differences.

The Canon does seem to have the edge with bronzing; but the Epson seems better with matt paper.

That said...I suspect I need to get to know the Canon better and might not be getting the best out of it. It is an impressive machine and using it has tempted me to consider a pre-owned Pro-1000 that I can buy relatively cheap.

PS: I was given the printers / inks I have referred to by a college art department that is upgrading, so they did come from a professional environment in that sense.

Last edited:

swisscow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Anyone know where I can find decent bulk ink for this printer in the UK or EU?
@anthonygh, I've very recently bought a refill kit for my PRO-1 at http://topink24.de/ (Germany) and it did work out perfectly, can definitely recommend it. Refilling is pretty easy but needs some preparation. The guide posted by @The Hat helped me a lot but also this video on the topic.

Hope this helps!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have to disagree with you on the R3000 print quality....the first thing I did when I was given the pro 1s was to check the quality against the R3000s I own.
I am not going to argue with you on that one, because it’s up to you to decide which one you like best....;)