All in one DVD, photo, and text Printer suggestions

Alukahn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I currently have an HP Photosmart C5280 all in one printer that I believe is on its last legs. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a replacement for this printer. The replacement printer must print on CD's/DVD's, print inexpensive text, be able to print photos, be under $200, and easy to refill (or have a quality CIS available). It would be best if the replacement printer would be an all-in one, but a printer that is not an all in one is not a deal breaker. I have used HP's in the past mainly because they have the ink heads built into the cartridge and did not require the cartridge to be reset in order to print. I am still thinking about sticking with HP since the ink cartridges do not need to be reset and are fairly inexpensive. I am happy with my HP's print quality so I think that any replacement would print well enough for me. My first experience with an internal printhead was with an Epson RX595, and that thing was a nightmare. I am still leery about having an internal printhead and trying to refill those cartridges, but at this point I see no alternative that will get me what I want. I should also mention that I am a college student and this printer will be moved about 4 times a year, so it needs to be sturdy (which is making me think that a CIS may not work). I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
I would look at the Epson Artisan 700 thru 810. The 800 series you can fax, 710 and 810 has a duplexer for plain paper.

Great photos, dvd, double page tray for 4 x6 and 8 x10s.

Easy to install a CISS or use refillable cartridges. Office Depot, $199.00 as of 12/13/2009
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/229357/Epson-Artisan-810-Color-Flatbed-All/

I know a festival photographer that transports his Espon Artisan every weekend to a new location, he attached his CISS with velcro to the side of the printer.

Good luck on your search.

Alukahn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. What type of CIS do you recommend, or would you recommend refilling the cartridges? My only experience with an internal printhead printer was with the Epson RX595 where I spent more time refilling the cartridges and priming the head than printing.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Alukahn said:
Thanks for the quick response. What type of CIS do you recommend, or would you recommend refilling the cartridges? My only experience with an internal printhead printer was with the Epson RX595 where I spent more time refilling the cartridges and priming the head than printing.
I had exactly that same printer and still refill a few for others. The cleaning cycle is so ink hungry sometimes I have to refill the cartridges again right after putting a new one in.

For me CIS was like a breath of fresh air. Not a slight difference, more like 1/10th the effort. And cheaper than refilling too.