8.5x11 photo in 45 seconds on i9900

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Grandad35, the nozzles in the i9900 are spaced 600 nozzles per inch but there are two columns of nozzles with an offset beween them so the effective density is 1200 nozzles per inch.

When you do an extended nozzle check, you will see that there are 768 nozzles per color and they cover a height of 5/8 inch which comes to about 1200 dpi.

From my experience looking at nozzle checks for the MP780 under a microscope, the nozzles are not aimed precisely and it would be pointless to advance the paper in an attempt to lay down a subsequent pass of dots that would fall between the first pass of dots. Still, it would be interesting for someone who can take good closeups, to determine the truth of the matter.

When I first started testing the different print modes, I was using a slow laptop and I experienced a change in the pattern the printhead was following about half-way down the page. Now that I print the test from a 2.2 GHz computer, those issues have gone away. You might also get this behavior if your USB connection is to the lower one on the back of the printer, since it is USB 1.1.

I found it very difficult to judge whether the printer was printing uni-directional or bi-directional until I opened the cover and forced the cover sensor to think it was closed. You still have to look very carefully as the printhead flies back and forth to see if any fresh ink was deposited.

I'm going to have to take some time to study your posts about profiles. In the mean time, could you print the same image with the same profile but with the quality different so that the number of passes is different and see if the printouts look the same?