3880 (recycle expired carts) (mixing of ink)

Dizzy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Hi all, I've gone through a few of your forums along with many others, and YouTube videos but while I'm sure someone will chirp that some of my questions were answered in this forum or that I'm a father of a newborn and I've exhausted much time but can't find good answers to my question.

I want to know as there are a few k3 inks out there, I landed a near new 3880 and the oe carts are nearly out. I've found a set of oe replacements most of which are expired( not my worry) but my question is most of the spent carts still have a fair amount of ink left in the bladders and I have reusable carts now, is there any issue in recycling ink even from 2014/2015 year carts? I've read about possible coagulation but should I abandon my thrifty spirits here or use them in the refillable carts?

And also any issue if I pass conecolor or inkowl inks through the same refillable tank or should I power flush the lines and run piezoflush? I'm not worried about any chance of small deviations in gamut while they mix as these will be used to make batches of smaller prints for family and friends. My only concern is to save myself from nozzle cleaning and head cleaning sessions.

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Dizzy and welcome, while I don’t have a 3880 but can say your expired ink carts are quite safe to use without flushing or cleaning, and the ink can mix with the 3rd party ink safely, colour shift excepted.

So just settle back and try to enjoy your new born, whom has taken over the whole house and everyone lives as well, your printer will still work and be there next week, if only the baby was as easy to satisfy... :hugs

P.S. don’t forget to agitate the carts next week before you start to use the printer again..