1400 pigment system - paper feeder tracks

gipper51

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here, but an old timer on DPReview forums. I've recently converted my dye CIS Epson 1400 to pigment inks, trying two makers and several papers in the process. Right now I'm using an Inkjetfly Bigfoot CIS and Red River Arctic Polar Satin paper. Printer is profiled with a Color Munki. The question I have is regarding marks that show on the prints from the printer's small paper feed wheels. They are leaving faint dotted lines on my prints. I never had this issue with the dye inks. Any methods to eliminate this problem? It showed up with both of the pigment inks I've tried.

Thanks,
Gipper

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried it with a different brand paper? It sounds like the ink isn't absorbing properly or not drying fast enough. Also you might want to try lifting the front tracking wheels, I seem to remember on some printers that you could do this and it would still feed the paper.

gipper51

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Fenrir Enterprises said:
Have you tried it with a different brand paper? It sounds like the ink isn't absorbing properly or not drying fast enough. Also you might want to try lifting the front tracking wheels, I seem to remember on some printers that you could do this and it would still feed the paper.
Thanks for the response. I did try the two papers I have (Red River brand) and got the ink tracks on both. I'll check on the tracking wheels, not sure if the 1400 can be lifted or not.

gipper51

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Doing further research it appears my printer is doing the dreaded 'pizza wheel' effect.

I cannot see an easy way to remove the pizza wheel tray. It looks like more disassembly than I'm willing to attempt. Has anybody successfully removed the tray from a 1400?

imaggie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
most likely it's caused by the pigment inks and the papers combination. the pigment inks that you simply dry slower on these type of papers.