Refill Canon MG8250

Steve Coult

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG 8250
Hi I currently have a canon mg8250 printer and I am looking to start refilling my cartridges , I have been told that the opaque cartridges that are fitted in the printer are now the best for refilling and I should buy some with see through sides.

Can anyone tell me just what cartridges will fit my printer to make it a little easier for me to refill

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Steve you have come to the right place anyway so we will do our best to get you up and running as quickly as possible, but while you waiting for your supplies to arrive you should read up on the many ways there are to refill these cartridges successfully.

The cartridges you’re looking for are the 521/ 221 ones, they are easily picked up on EBay or several good ink suppliers sites, they sell them empty so you need to get as many as you need. (Extra Grey)

http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Refill-Tools{47}Kits/Empty-Cartridges/

http://www.precisioncolors.com/c5ccart.html ges/

These cartridges will fit into your printer but you’ll have to change the chips on them to the same ones you are currently using and use a resetter to make them work properly again, see here for instructions http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-chip-removal-made-easy.5629/

You can pick up a resetter from these ink suppliers when you go to get your empties OEM cartridges.

Last edited:

Steve Coult

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG 8250
Hi to The Hat

Thanks for the info i will follow up on what you have said, thank you so much

Just one thing i dont understand if the chips on my current cartridge monitor the ink level in the cartridge will it also monitor the ink level in the new cartridge or will i have no idea on the refilled cartridges ink level

Thank so so much

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
These chips are memory chips that store encrypted info about cartridge type and an estimated ink level calculated by the printer by counting nozzle firings . There are no sensors inside the cartridge, so the chip will function equally well whether it is attached to an opaque CLI-525 cartridge or a windowed CLI-521 cartridge. When transferring chips, take care not to get them mixed up as they are coded for colour among other things. A chip from a CLI-525 M cartridge should only go to a CLI-521 M cartridge and so on.

The resetter writes data to the chip, causing it to indicate the cartridge a new and full OEM cartridge. As you will still be using PGI-525/CLI-526 chips, you will of course need a resetter for PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges.

Steve Coult

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG 8250
These chips are memory chips that store encrypted info about cartridge type and an estimated ink level calculated by the printer by counting nozzle firings . There are no sensors inside the cartridge, so the chip will function equally well whether it is attached to an opaque CLI-525 cartridge or a windowed CLI-521 cartridge. When transferring chips, take care not to get them mixed up as they are coded for colour among other things. A chip from a CLI-525 M cartridge should only go to a CLI-521 M cartridge and so on.

The resetter writes data to the chip, causing it to indicate the cartridge a new and full OEM cartridge. As you will still be using PGI-525/CLI-526 chips, you will of course need a resetter for PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges.

Hi thanks for the info I now understand how it works, but I suppose if the chip reads the nozzle firings and then warns when empty I will have to make sure the cartridge is full every time I refill or it might run dry before the chip expects it to be empty.

I have read on this site about changing the chips over but I am not sure do they need gluing in place if so what glue should I use

I think I will try the top fill method first I did see a tutorial on how to do this but I am unable to find it again can someone point me in the right direction please

Thank for all the advice

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Besides the chips the cartridges have an extra safety feature. At the bottom in the ink chamber there is a prism. When the prism is covered in ink, it is not reflective. When it is no longer covered in ink as the ink chamber gets empty, the prism becomes reflective and is detected by an optical sensor. This triggers a low ink warning for that cartridge. There is still ink in the sponges, but if you refill or change the cartridge now, you will be sure you will not damage the print head due to missing ink, even if the cartridge was not completely filled.

Steve Coult

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG 8250
Thank you PeterBJ

That's put my mind at rest I was worried about running out of ink before the chips said ink is low.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When refilling there is no need to fill the cartridge completely full 70-80% is more than enough and no you won’t run out of ink accidently regardless of the chip status as already stated by @PeterBJ.

Chip swapping as its known is relatively easy to do so take your time and practice on the original cartridges before you move the chip over to your newer cartridge, usually there no need for glue because the chip slides back in place nicely, you can however use glue if you wish. (Waterproof)

Here is just one of the many posts on top refilling..
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/top-filling-method-for-canon-cartridges.5534/

Steve Coult

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG 8250
Hi guys just a couple more questions if I may ask

I have just flushed out some Canon CLI521 and PGI520 cartridges with distilled water and I have used ghwellsjr method of draining the water out.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/draining-a-canon-cartridge.4760/

I am trying the top fill method so I have removed the small sealing ball from the cartridge.

My questions are if I dry the cartridges as in ghwellsjr method for a few hours or overnight, I understand I need to cover the fill hole and put the orange clip back on then do I need to cover the vent on the top, until I fill them.

Also if I refill the cartridges and then don't use them straight away and store them until needed does the vent need to be covered as it is when the cartridges are new

Regards

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You don't need to seal the vent on the flushed and dried cartridges.

The vent should not be sealed on the refilled cartridges, as this could cause the cartridge to leak when temperature and barometric pressure changes, especially if the cartridges are refilled using the German method.

You cannot replicate Canon's factory seal, the orange clip and the top sealing tape are welded on, probably using an ultrasonic technique, so it is better to to allow the cartridge to "breathe". The vent labyrinth prevents evaporation, so your refilled cartridges will not dry out.