Possible to disable BCI-3 E BK on IP4000 head QY6-0049 ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problems you having with your printer and has nothing to do with the driver or the O/S.

The BK section of the print head is burned out, so your other alternatives are to chance getting a refurbished head from China or to select Matte media in the Windows control panel and save this setting there.

This will then allow you to continue to print both text and colour photos while still using the damaged print head, but unfortunately that does not include Duplex..

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
that won't be OS dependent, you can easily try one thing - take out the big pigment ink black cartridge, the Ip4000 won't recognize it's missing, and do your test again with the different paper and driver settings, and then you'll see if and when the black is missing or it's printing with photo black.
My big pigment black was out all the time, because it's useless.

The problems you having with your printer and has nothing to do with the driver or the O/S.

My intention is to have some luck and find someone here who has written a modified driver or know an other trick that uses photo black as big pigment black so I don't have to buy a print-head and have duplex also.
I'm a programmer of myself but never tried driver-hacking. So I think as a programmer. In my understanding it's only to find the parts in the driver that changes when I change the paper-type from anything to "standard paper" and deactivate the parts where "pigment black" is used and change all parts that have to do something with pigment black and use photo black. I saw some posts in this forum with people who really have this knowledge and hope they have the right trick.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
- plain paper, quality standard > darkest areas are deep black, not bluish = textblack
- plain paper, quality high > darkest areas are less deep black and bluish = photo black

Now I remembered another setting that is needed that the printer would switch to "photo black only" on plain paper:
- auto double sided printing! Try it!
Don't know the reason...maybe the photoblack dries quicker...?..
Anyway almost all paper settings will use no text black, except plain paper.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
furziger said:
My intention is to have some luck and find someone here who has written a modified driver or know an other trick that uses photo black as big pigment black so I don't have to buy a print-head and have duplex also.
I'm a programmer of myself but never tried driver-hacking. So I think as a programmer. In my understanding it's only to find the parts in the driver that changes when I change the paper-type.
You can play around all you want too with the printer driver but to save you a lot of time and trouble, my advice is not to bother, it simply can’t be done, not ever.

If it were an Epson, now that would be a different matter altogether, and if by some kind of miracle you did manage to hack the driver, then Canon would pursue you out of existence, as I said a lot of trouble.. :eek:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanks for your replies. No, it should only have to do something with the print-head. I spent a whole day cleaning print head AND disassembled the nozzle plate and cleaned them also and checked if ink flew through the complete system. No problem, but when I print, not even one black nozzle is visible. The same happenes when I change the IP4000 printer (I have a 2nd one!). The reset nozzles (CMY, photo black) are nearly perfect. In this case a driver software-hack would be one solution in my opinion, but even the IP4000 is so old, no one did this in 10 years.
The reason to suspect the purge unit is that there are TWO separate purge paths on Canons with both Dye (color and photo black) and Pigment inks. If the Pigment purge system is suddenly inoperable, no ink is primed into the nozzles (typically after a cart change), and none of them "fire" be cause there is air in the nozzles instead of pigment ink. Purge system failures are very common, particularly with printers using BOTH dye and pigment inks.

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
If it were an Epson, now that would be a different matter altogether, and if by some kind of miracle you did manage to hack the driver, then Canon would pursue you out of existence, as I said a lot of trouble.. :eek:

Hmmm... but why? Canon has also a lot of "trouble" himself with CHDK ;-)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Hmmm... but why? Canon has also a lot of "trouble" himself with CHDK ;-)

CHDK is a "hack" of powershot camera firmware (which I use all the time). It "unlocks" features and provides a whole host of new features the camera did not have before.

A hack of printer firmware is possible, but what is the potential advantage?

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
See post #12. Firmware or driver, I don't know what is best in this case.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Did you try duplex at all?
I'm sure it will print black areas up to 100% black with photo black!
Without text black, or eventually at the most with adding some textblack to the deepest areas...

Now I remembered another setting that is needed that the printer would switch to "photo black only" on plain paper:
- auto double sided printing! Try it!
Don't know the reason...maybe the photoblack dries quicker...?..

... here is one of many threads at DC confirming this:
http://www.druckerchannel.de/forum....14491&t=duplexdruck_aus_welchern_patronen#AW4