Possible to disable BCI-3 E BK on IP4000 head QY6-0049 ?

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
I have a strange print-head here. I completely disassembled it but the BCI-3 E BK doesn't show any single nozzle, I really spent a whole day to get the same result as I started. Now I read this is a typical problem on most Canon printers :-(

"Normal paper" will be used with BCI-3 E BK, so I thought "hey, let's switch to "high resolution paper" and forgot your big fat black and only use your small black and all colors, because they work fine. But now I'm unable to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK. Has someone an advice for me to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK or a fix? I have an IP4000 and this printer is perfect in my mind, but this print head shit....... :-(

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
only plain paper is uncoated and on both sides alike, all other types - photo - inkjet etc are coated, mostly only on one side and thus not suitable for duplex print. The printer/driver cannot recognize that you are using plain paper with an inkjet/high res paper setting instead and just doesn't support double sided printing for this paper type. You may switch to a software solution like Fineprint for the double sided printing instead and you turn the paper around one time regardless of the number of pages, or you can use an option in the Acrobat Reader for PDF documents to print first the odd numbered pages and then the even numbered pages. But I would expect that more nozzles will drop out on this printhead, that's the faith of Canon printheads that they get used up. The bigger problem is that new spare printheads are not available anymore by Canon, and other offers of refurbished/cleaned etc printheads are of questionable quality

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I have a strange print-head here. I completely disassembled it but the BCI-3 E BK doesn't show any single nozzle, I really spent a whole day to get the same result as I started. Now I read this is a typical problem on most Canon printers :-(

"Normal paper" will be used with BCI-3 E BK, so I thought "hey, let's switch to "high resolution paper" and forgot your big fat black and only use your small black and all colors, because they work fine. But now I'm unable to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK. Has someone an advice for me to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK or a fix? I have an IP4000 and this printer is perfect in my mind, but this print head shit....... :-(

Did this occur suddenly, and after changing the big black cart? I ask because it "might" be the purge system, not the print head...

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
Thanks for your replies. No, it should only have to do something with the print-head. I spent a whole day cleaning print head AND disassembled the nozzle plate and cleaned them also and checked if ink flew through the complete system. No problem, but when I print, not even one black nozzle is visible. The same happenes when I change the IP4000 printer (I have a 2nd one!). The reset nozzles (CMY, photo black) are nearly perfect. In this case a driver software-hack would be one solution in my opinion, but even the IP4000 is so old, no one did this in 10 years.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
... But now I'm unable to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK. Has someone an advice for me to print duplex without BCI-3 E BK or a fix? I have an IP4000 and this printer is perfect in my mind, but this print head shit....... :-(
This would make no sense, because the darkest areas of an image (from say 90% to 100% black) would stay white...
But if you set plain paper AND quality "high" my IP4000 indeed prints like you want to: double sided without textblack, only photoblack. You will see in the print, that this black is less deep and more bluish than the warm tone pigment text black (if you still would have it...)
Last not least, auto double sided printing is slowly and inefficient to me, I would prefer manual printing of both sides..

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
But if you set plain paper AND quality "high" my IP4000 indeed prints like you want to: double sided without textblack, only photoblack.
No, sorry, on Windows 7 (and I think other operating systems also) this is not correct. He print's with textblack.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
How do you know this without any textblack working?

I just printed a test image (color and grey gradients)
- plain paper, quality standard > darkest areas are deep black, not bluish = textblack
- plain paper, quality high > darkest areas are less deep black and bluish = photo black

I have win XP, but can't believe this is OS dependend...

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
I tried it with plain paper, high quality and standard, in a small picture I printed with m$ word very black areas are completely white and - say - black areas with about 90% density are bluish. But it's great you mentioned that. This printer should work on an XP system and I connected it to a Win7 system (only for testing purposes). I will connect the printer to my XP system and test it again and really HOPE you're right :)

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
OK, I tested it now with Win7 and XP.

Win7 driver is the integrated version 1.01 (Copyright Canon INC. 2006-2008) plus Canon driver-addon to use "canon easy photo print".

On my XP system I installed the latetest driver directly from Canon. Version 1.80DE (Germany), 2000-2004.

Results: Exactly the same (white areas and bluish).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that won't be OS dependent, you can easily try one thing - take out the big pigment ink black cartridge, the Ip4000 won't recognize it's missing, and do your test again with the different paper and driver settings, and then you'll see if and when the black is missing or it's printing with photo black.