PGI-525 and CLI-526

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello All

Is anybody using Refillable Ink Cartridges for Canon ?

please share your experience.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
websnail said:
I have a lead that may provide me with the 220/221 units after a bit of digging and some help from a contact.

I'll post more if/when I get anything to add...
... and add, I can...

I've got a confirmed order in for a supply of USB powered 220/221 resetters and should be with me by mid next week.

Oh and not for $67 or whatever craziness was being offered elsewhere...

Much cheaper at $66.99... ;) ... Joke!! :p

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm a new boy to the forum and this is my first post.
I recently bought a ip4850 to replace my ip4000. I am used to refilling cartridges but due to the design of the new ones am looking to acquire some 520/1 cartridges to replace the 525/6 that the ip4850 comes with so that I can see the ink levels when filling. Reading through the forum I see that "the consensus of opinion" is to use OEM's. Can someone please explain why as I can't see any real likely problem using a "copy" cartridge once the chip is switched.
Also, has anyone yet used a resetter on 520 fitted fitted with a 525 cartridge?
Thanks for looking.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ipfken Reading through the forum I see that "the consensus of opinion" is to use OEM's.
Can someone please explain why as I can't see any real likely problem using a "copy" cartridge once the chip is switched.
Also, has anyone yet used a resetter on 520 fitted fitted with a 525 cartridge?
The reason for the consciences here towards OEM cartridges is their superior build quality.
Comparing the price of a Compatible Cartridge to that of OEM cartridges is no comparison at all,
one cartridge gives you continued reliable printing the other doesnt,
as it has being said, buying cheap is a poor way to guarantee quality. :hit

Compatible cartridges are alright to use but if you intend to refill them then
youll notice the difference very quickly and realise they can be more trouble than there worth.

If you intend to continue to refill with your new printer then please insure that
you only use good quality inks regardless of your choice of cartridges.

Resetting a chip is exactly the same on any cartridge and that applies also to a chip that is transferred onto another cartridge.
Happy printing...:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
To put what Hat is saying somewhat more succinctly...

The sponge in most copies is a single piece rather than the OEM which has two parts of differing material and density. The general moulding quality is poorer in copies and there not the same level of detail to things like air maze.

On the surface shortcuts easy to take, but each detail in an OEM cart design contributes to ensuring a supply of ink to the printhead.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
armars said:
websnail do you sell empty 220/221 OEM cartriges?
I'm trying to nail down a supplier for empty 520/521 carts which are basically the same cartridge but different chips so hope to have some news on that soon...

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
armars said:
I found new type of refillable chinese cartridge copies :) - they claim that cartridges have double capacity and high quality (filter)

what you think about thiis?
"chinese copies" and "high quality" - those words are RARELY used in the same sentence.

You might get lucky, but I wouldn't touch any crap-reverse-engineered (aka stolen) Chinese copies of authentic items.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
armars said:
do you sell empty 220/221 OEM cartriges?
I found a local supplier for OEM (old style-windowed) 220/221 carts. It might be pricey to ship to Europe, but if theres any US folks here looking for them- let me know.