OCP black ink problem

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I got to this thread accidentally, but since I made some similar observations I think I'll comment. I was running some ink fade tests over the last weeks and used several inks for that, on some different papers, printing with an Epson R265 for this test, with a CISS. I'm using OCP dye inks since a while from octopus-office in Germany, normally on glossy paper - Sihl, Tecco, HP or the budget Labelheaven type. Prints just look 'normal' to say, then I got a sample target print on a Mediajet silk 300gr paper to create an ICC profile from, and I used a spare sheet to print another target sheet with my standard inks - and there it showed up - strong bronzing in the darker areas - pretty strong similar to glossy prints with Durabrite pigment inks. I saw such effect the first time, I tested with two other papers - silk/semiglossy surface , and the effect showed up again. I never observed that before since I'm not using such material frequently, yes, I saw strong bronzing with dye inks on silk paper, and I switched to some other inks during the fade tests, and specifically reprinted the target sheets with other dye inks, and none of the other inks showed such bronzing, there are slight gloss differences between areas with more ink or less ink, but only recognisable if you specifically look for it. I'm phasing over to Coralgraph dye inks at this time, they don't show bronzing on silk papers, and they are good enough for me in terms of fading, for longer term and exposed prints , and larger formats, I'm using an 24" Epson Pro 7600 with pigment inks. So I can confirm that this bronzing effect with dye inks is not specific to the Canon printer used for the prior findings. I see the bronzing effect related to the ink in use , and the surface, the paper type used for the printouts, I observe the bronzing on silk papers only at this time, not on glossy ones. Inks for Epson most likely use another ink formula than for Canon, it may be the solvent creating the bronzing effect together with the paper coating, and/or the dye, I mainly see the effect in areas where Cyan or black is used, as well mixed colors using Cyan like dark blue etc