OCP black ink problem

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Good to hear you are moving forward, however why you did not try OEM black Canon cart in the first place?

Ferdinand Mesmer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Good to hear you are moving forward, however why you did not try OEM black Canon cart in the first place?

I did and it worked fine. I only noticed this when I ran out of OEM black and had to refill with OCP black.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I did and it worked fine. I only noticed this when I ran out of OEM black and had to refill with OCP black.

In the first post you said that you have "have just filled the cartridges with OCP inks for the first time" so not only black cart but all of them. Now you say that "it worked fine" suggesting that OEM inks were used and then you filled the black cart with OCP black "had to refill with OCP black".

Ferdinand Mesmer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
In the first post you said that you have "have just filled the cartridges with OCP inks for the first time" so not only black cart but all of them. Now you say that "it worked fine" suggesting that OEM inks were used and then you filled the black cart with OCP black "had to refill with OCP black".

I did but not all at the same time. I filled the cartridges as I ran out of OEM ink: gray, light gray, photo magenta, etc. Now I have all OCP. No difference between OEM and OCP (except the black) but I had to switch to another Canon profile.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It is recommended to switch inks all at once to avoid chemical reaction between different inks, while this is less possible with OEM to third party, this is very true for third party to third party inks.

IMHO you must use another manufacturer dye black ink like InkTec, to see if this helps correct the black ink problems that you are having.

Ferdinand Mesmer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
It is recommended to switch inks all at once to avoid chemical reaction between different inks, while this is less possible with OEM to third party, this is very true for third party to third party inks.

IMHO you must use another manufacturer dye black ink like InkTec, to see if this helps correct the black ink problems that you are having.

Actually I just replaced the black ink with Octoink and the black ink problem is solved. But now I have another problem: somehow the overall balance of colors is lost.

Here is what happened:
- after filling the new Octoink black ink, b/w prints looked reddish/yellowish and foggy.
- I printed a test page and the yellow in the test print was reddish.
- I cleaned the nozzles several times and each time it got a bit better.
- Gradually it became closer to normal.
- Now the test print looks fine (except that the yellow looks more intensive)
- But actual prints have a problem: b/w have an overcast and color prints are totally off

Please note that this happened right after I filled the black Octoink. The other inks are all OCP.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
"somehow the overall balance of colors is lost" - this is because the inkset is now not balanced you used black color from another inkset. Black dye ink is not made from entirely black ink. If you follow other threads about EPSON inks you know that most third party black inks have color cast easily detected by diluting the inks. So called put a drop of ink in a glass and see the color cast.

Custom ICC profile will fix this.

Regarding the ink mixing problems when "yellow in the test print was reddish." this is very strange as you only replaced one cart and it was black not color cart. So this is very strange indeed.

Ferdinand Mesmer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I have noticed that the prints lack contrast due to this color cast. They appear to be somehow brighter and lacking depth. This is most evident in b/w prints which appear to have a slight yellowish cast.

Ferdinand Mesmer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I have noticed that the prints lack contrast due to this color cast. They appear to be somehow brighter and lacking depth. This is most evident in b/w prints which appear to have a slight yellowish cast.

I'm completely at a loss here. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, my printer started to print strangely fuzzy images, lacking contrast and with what I can describe as a 'murky' or 'muddy' appearance. The only change is the new Octoink black ink which solved the problems I had with OCP black.

- The nozzle test prints are fine as is the calibration.
- I also checked the print head and carts and there were no obvious problems.
- I tried other profiles but this particular issue was not affected at all: the overall appearance changed with each profile but not this 'murky' appearance.

- Can this be connected with a small problem I had before with the yellow (described above #26)?
- Can this be connected with the Octoink black? I flushed the OCP ink before filling with Octoink.
- A greyscale test print shows a greenish cast in the dark grey zone (is this connected?), but eliminating this cast in the driver did not help either).

I've spent days and nights trying to get this to work but to no avail. My new Pro-100 is now useless. I am stuck and would appreciate any help.

I am posting the following images:
1. printed a few days ago
2. printed today

1 original picture.jpg
2 problem picture.JPG

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Wow, I wonder what happened here. So both images you posted are printed with same Octoink black ink which solved the problems with OCP black but first is when printer worked OK, and last print is from today?

If nozzle check is fine, I don't have any suggestions except incompatible inksets, but if it worked before :confused:

Are you sure software settings are the same as before, maybe this is software problem?

Last edited: