non OEM ink cartridges with non OEM ink

pkm123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on quality filled non OEM cartridges for Canon Pixma 560 and 620 printers. I think the cartridges are PGI- 220 and CLI- 221. There are many after market options but I would like to find a company that supplies quality cartridges with ink and chip. I don't use enough ink to warrant filling my own yet.
Thanks for the help,
Ken

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
PKM123,

Give http://private.abacus24-7.com/ a try. I've been using them for years for my old ip5000's and never had any issues.
Their ink matched OEM ink to my eye and their service was top notch with free shipping. They also supplied ink carts for
my HP Photosmart 7460 (HP 02 carts) and I never had any problems with those carts or inks either. All around great company
to do business with IMHO.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Non OEM cartridges are bad. This is particularly true for Canon printers. Why don't you refill OEM cartridges? You have a much better chance to succeed. Actually if you refill OEM carts with inks that are not dirt cheap you are very likely to succeed. You don't have to buy the most expensive inks. It's easier to find good quality inks. You probably will not find any quality 3rd party cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nche11 You don't have to buy the most expensive inks. It's easier to find good quality inks.
I will have to disagree with you on that one sorry. :(
The most expensive 3rd party inks are 4 to 5 times cheaper than Canon inks, so trying to save a $ or two on very cheap ink may well turn out to be the death of your printer.
There is no such thing as good quality cheap inks, (only rubbish). :(
Quote When you pay to little, you sometimes lose everything.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I hear you, I hear you. But I don't really agree that Canon OEM being the best. I acquired an ip4700 at a discount right before it was discontinued by Canon. I can tell you the OEM ink for the ip4700 really sucks. An old i560 refilled with Hobbicolors prints better photos than the ip4700 does. Hint, it may be only my taste being that way.

But I agree with you that don't try to save and buy cheap inks. If you really want to save you at least should test it before buying large quantities.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon probably diluted their ink to use in their ip4700. The colors are not as vibrant as older Canon printers used to be. If you ever used an i960 you will know what I mean. But I have to agree that not everyone wants more vibrancy. If you print portraits a lot you will like slightly muted colors for better skin tones. But if you print crayon colors you will want the most vibrant colors you could get. Ip4700 is probably better for printing skin tones.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nche11
I hear you, I hear you. But I don't really agree that Canon OEM being the best.
If you really think that about Canon inks, I would strongly suggest you switch to Epson printers.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
nche11 said:
Canon probably diluted their ink to use in their ip4700. The colors are not as vibrant as older Canon printers used to be. If you ever used an i960 you will know what I mean. But I have to agree that not everyone wants more vibrancy. If you print portraits a lot you will like slightly muted colors for better skin tones. But if you print crayon colors you will want the most vibrant colors you could get. Ip4700 is probably better for printing skin tones.
First I've ever read about this.

Anyone else think this is true?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the profiles for the ip4700 are different from the i960, and that accounts for the difference in "vibrancy." I've used i960's for seven years and found them to be too heavy on the warm tones. For the best skin tones I backed off a bit on Magenta. On my ip5000 printers the skin tones are more realistic with the Canon profiles. Mikling can possibly tell us if the inks are substantially different between the ip4700 and the ip4500.