non OEM ink cartridges with non OEM ink

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Fotofreek, It may be in the profiles or it may be in the inks too. It could be both. I think it is true that the inks are different. The profiles have to be different too. Depending on what you print. If you print portraits a lot you will have some issues with i960. But if you print flowers you will not really like ip4700. This may be just my taste being different.

I should take my word "diluted ink" back. I have no proof of that. But the effect can be seen on the photos. Anyone can dispute with me on this of course. I understand that different cameras, scanners and image capture devices can make this perception of mine into a tail spin.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
nche11 - remember that both the i960 and ip5000 use the exact same ink formulations but have a considerably different color output. Even though one is a six color dye-based printer and the other, for photos, is a four dyebased printer (plus black pigment for plain paper only), in theory, the six color printer should give basically similar color output, albeit with better gradation in areas such as sky and skin.

That is why I suggest that someone whose business is selling aftermarket quality ink might be able to shed some light on the inks recommended for different canon printers. Anything else is strictly conjecture without making an effort to evaluate if the inks are different.

If comparing two different dye based inks for different canon printers you might want to refill a set of carts with each ink and do the simplest of experiments - use the exact same printer settings and paper and see, in each printer, if there is a difference in color rendition using first one set of carts and then the other (with appropriate cleaning cycles in between). As they are both dye based canon printers and both dye based inks specifically formulated for canon printers, you can be a committee of one to report back on whether these inks are different or if they are the same and the printer profiles are different. You wlll do no harm to the printers, and a few deep cleanings will clear the printhead of the ink that was for the other printer.