MP830 - can't remove print head and ink carts, won't power on

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@jimbo123, reading through your conundrum, I would like to get to grips with your situation.

First MP830 #1 died for no apparent reason and you then transferred MP830 #1’s head into MP830 #2 and it went down with much the same problem, "no power", so the score now is printers 2 and Jimbo nil.

This is where it gets a bit confusing dough, what happened to MP830 #3’s head that made you install a brand head in it in the first place and where did that head go after you removed it from MP830 #3, and also where is the original head from MP830 #2 ?

If you now have two MP830’s dead that won’t power on because you installed the same head in both (Test purposes) then it’s fair to assume the damaged head was the culprit and if you install a new/spare logic board in both printers, they’ll both power on once more minus the print head.
stratman said:
While the forum rarely gets feedback about actual transferring of problems from print head to logic board assay or vice versa
Am I getting warm or still in the freezer !

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I had two ip4000, one powered off with a bad printhead. After two weeks (haven't got the time to dispose) it powered on again ... but printed blank sheets. Printhead showed a burnt hole in one nozzle row. I took a logic board from the second ip4000 (in worse condition but without printing issues), after mounting the board (and also the PH of the old one) the same result: blank sheets! So this surgery was not worth the effort.

And some months ago I destroyed two printheads in a "infected" ip4500: put in an unknown PH which printed a really bad nozzle check, color bars were half red and half black. Took it out and the formerly working PH back in. Now the nozzle check had a black line under each bar and a weird line pattern in the prints... same with a new PH.. (now this was stupid..)
After some soaking and experimenting with tape on the contacts the weird lines disappeared - but M and PK shows missing nozzles which can not be cleaned.

PeterBJ said it all..
..problem is: you can not be sure wether the printer is also damaged or not - until you try a working PH .. and possibly damage this too..

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
correct as far "the hat's" recap "the score now is printers 2 and Jimbo nil"

i plugged in MP830 #3 without a PH, it powered on fine and complained that no PH is installed

i had one brand new PH that i installed in MP830 #3 and am back in business. may keep #1 and #2 around for parts or if i get a working logic board

the MP830's are nearing 10 years old, guess this stuff is expected

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
not sure what to do with 2 "NO POWER ON" MP830s.
To clarify...

Printers #1 and #2 will NOT power on without a print head at all?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Printers #1 and #2 will NOT power on without a print head at all?
Printers #1 and #2 need a replacement logic board I reckon to come back to life again..

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
yes, MP830 #1 and #2 will not POWER ON with or without a print head.

both are pretty much door stop material until i can find/swap in a good logic card.

much thx for all the help,

J

Hennmann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP830
correct as far "the hat's" recap "the score now is printers 2 and Jimbo nil"

i plugged in MP830 #3 without a PH, it powered on fine and complained that no PH is installed

i had one brand new PH that i installed in MP830 #3 and am back in business. may keep #1 and #2 around for parts or if i get a working logic board

the MP830's are nearing 10 years old, guess this stuff is expected

J

So if I'm reading your responses correctly? A defective print head can prevent the MP830 to power on, can damage a logic board OR a defective logic board can damage a PH?
IF the logic board is okay but the PH is defective, this can prevent a power on but the print head can be disconnected and if the board is still okay the MP830 will power on and indicate a missing head??
Almost sounds too good to be true to attempt diagnostics?
What I find upsetting is after struggling with a pair of problematic Lexmarks of which were low end models I decided to step up to the plate and spend a few hundred dollars ($300++) for something good. Less than 100 pages printed and off of warranty my printer still looking like new dies and is looking grim.
Next I purchase a totally new MP830 from an estate sale and after an hour of use including setting it up for the first time it died exactly the same way as my first!!
Yes the estate sale printer was totally brand new still in a sealed box with the orange tape on various places on the printer when I unpacked it. The former owner died before using it and his relatives decided to sell it.
After this and two almost new and new printers sitting, stupidity still prevailed and I purchased a used unit advertised as working except for black.
Now reading and recently discovering the fact a defective PH can either prevent an MP830 from starting or even damaging the logic board or a damaged board damaging a replacement print head.

So which is easier? Can the cover be removed to gain access to the logic, remove the connector from the logic to the print heads or is there a way to disconnect the wires from the print heads? Problem is when powered off the print heads are parked!

Hennmann

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP830
So if I'm reading your responses correctly? A defective print head can prevent the MP830 to power on, can damage a logic board OR a defective logic board can damage a PH?
IF the logic board is okay but the PH is defective, this can prevent a power on but the print head can be disconnected and if the board is still okay the MP830 will power on and indicate a missing head??
Almost sounds too good to be true to attempt diagnostics?
What I find upsetting is after struggling with a pair of problematic Lexmarks of which were low end models I decided to step up to the plate and spend a few hundred dollars ($300++) for something good. Less than 100 pages printed and off of warranty my printer still looking like new dies and is looking grim.
Next I purchase a totally new MP830 from an estate sale and after an hour of use including setting it up for the first time it died exactly the same way as my first!!
Yes the estate sale printer was totally brand new still in a sealed box with the orange tape on various places on the printer when I unpacked it. The former owner died before using it and his relatives decided to sell it.
After this and two almost new and new printers sitting, stupidity still prevailed and I purchased a used unit advertised as working except for black.
Now reading and recently discovering the fact a defective PH can either prevent an MP830 from starting or even damaging the logic board or a damaged board damaging a replacement print head.

So which is easier? Can the cover be removed to gain access to the logic, remove the connector from the logic to the print heads or is there a way to disconnect the wires from the print heads? Problem is when powered off the print heads are parked!
Oh and I always purchased ink cartridges while on sale and in bulk because I am quite a ways away from getting them. This is another reason why I flog these possible lemons to work because the cartridges are EXPENSIVE!

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
some random thoughts on my 830 experiences

i have ruined a good print head by placing it into an 830 w a bad logic board, ouch !

i have never been able to breath life into an 830 once it won't power on

i have removed the logic board and successfully reinstalled it when disassembling to clean the ink pads

if you do try this, take pics, the ribbon cables are not easy to get back in and can easily be inserted upside down. w/o pics, trial and error can be a painful process to resolve, i've been there, no fun.

here is an old thread that shows some pics(logic board access) along the way
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/sharing-my-mp830-waste-pad-replacement-at-37-000-pages-w-pics.7646/

best of luck, keep us posted

J

• Active Printers: MP870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Past Printers: MP830

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member