MP830 - can't remove print head and ink carts, won't power on

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
my MP830 won't power up. i plan to switch the print head and ink carts over to another MP830

but..... i cant' seem to get at the print head and ink carts to move them. they are locked in over to the right.

i tried pulling it over to the left but it won't budge.

any ideas ?

thx

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The carriage is mechanically LOCKED over the purge station when going through a power-off cycle. If you can't get it to power on, then you have to disassemble and physically unlatch the carriage.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
thanks, that was it

took it apart and was able to remove the print head and ink carts

thx

J

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A defective Canon print head can prevent a printer from turning on and can ruin a logic board, so it might not be a good idea to reuse or test the print head in another printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I was not aware that a defective head could stop power up on the printer, if it gets severely damaged it can blow the hell out of the logic board on rare occasions, I’ve never heard of it getting all the way to the actual power unit itself !

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To power up the Canon printer the power supply needs a control signal from the logic board. At power up the logic board seems to perform a test of the logic board, and if the test is passed the power supply starts. A defective print head or a defective logic board can prevent the start.

So in some cases a Canon printer that will not power up with the print head will power up without the print head. In this case the print head is clearly defective and should not be used in another printer, as it might ruin the logic board in that printer.

If a printer will power up after removal of a defective print head, then replacing the print head is risky as the defective print head might have damaged the logic board and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head.

This thread describes the interaction between print head, logic board and power supply in Canon printers in more detail.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
hmmmm..... PeterBJ might be onto something

i pulled the print head out of the first "NO POWER" printer and put it in another MP830

plugged it in, it did the normal start-up beep and then NOTHING, NO POWER

hmmm........

i do have one more MP830 and 2 other MP830 print heads

thoughts on next course of action ?

thx

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
will try another MP830 with another print head, first need to swap over the one good scanner i still have...

note, MP830 will power on with no installed print head, just gives an error that there is no print head, so not sure how much communication there is between print head and logic board

J

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
note, MP830 will power on with no installed print head, just gives an error that there is no print head, so not sure how much communication there is between print head and logic board
Is this the original MP830 from your first post? If so, then the print head is the culprit, or at least a significant contributor.

If not the original MP830, maybe rebuild it and try powering on without a print head.

While the forum rarely gets feedback about actual transferring of problems from print head to logic board assay or vice versa, if the original MP830 after rebuild powers back on without a print head then I would avoid using that original print head in any other computer, especially given you had problems when transferring it to a different printer already. Not that you needed this advice already I am sure!

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
looks like the print head was the culprit

recap:

- MP830 #1 mysteriously died, NO POWER
- i mistakenly transplanted offensive print head into MP830 #2, it beeped once when powering up, then died, NO POWER
- tossed out offensive print head

- installed brand new print head into MP830 #3, all is good now

also to add complexity, i have one working MP830 scanner out of these 3 MP830's so i keep moving that around to the working printer.

not sure what to do with 2 "NO POWER ON" MP830s. not sure what the offensive print head did damage to, logic board, power supply

thoughts ???

much thx for the help

J