Horrible photo colours from iP5200 and other printers under W8 64 bit

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It looks like Win 8 might be getting into a muddled with 16 bit colour somehow,
all dough Tiffs were always used in Macs originally not Windows, they favoured BMPs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It appears MS has had issues with 16 bit/channel TIFF files for a while. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289119

Conversion to 8 bit/channel Tiff or a different file format resolves the issue.

You may want to post your issue on the appropriate Microsoft Community forum where others may have had the same issue as you. (http://support.microsoft.com/find-solutions/windows/windows-8/) I have not yet built my Windows 8 64-bit box yet so I cannot try to reproduce your problem.

Did you need to to install your printer drivers using Compatibility Mode? (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/get-apps-devices-working)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I did just a such file conversion, the new 8bit/channel TIFF gives no problems. I also found that the Printer Evaluation Image exists in both a TIFF and JPG version: http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/printer_tests/ . The Zip is also the TIFF version. Note different colour profiles. The ProPhoto is 16 bit/channel, the aRGP is 8 bit/channel. I have now also downloaded this file, as it is larger than my converted JPG files, I assume that the compression is lower and quality thus better.

I have not installed any of the Canon printer drivers in compatibility mode, plug and play installation with Windows update supplied drivers work, but I had to install a driver add on module to enable CD printing. I had some problems with some of the installs, but they were due to operator error. On my older computers the plug and play install opens a window showing the progress, on the Win 8 computer the install only showed an icon on the task bar, so I wrongly assumed the install was finished before it actually was. as I didn't notice recognise this new icon. Clicking the Icon opens the install window, but why doesn't the window open by itself. Do you want a screen dump of the new icon and window for the plug and play installing of hardware?

I have an old HP Scanjet 4070 CCD scanner, support ended with Win XP, but HP later supplied a basic driver for Win Vista and possibly 7, officially this driver doesn't support Win 8, but I ran the install program in compatibility mode for Win Vista service pack 3. The scanner now works. The driver is very basic, only driver, no scanning program, but I acquire scans via Irfan View, and this works the same way it did in Vista. I don't know if the compatibility mode was necessary, but now the scanner works.

So it seems the driver situation is not as bad as I feared. But if you could obtain a Windows 7 I think that might be preferable.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ said:
Do you want a screen dump of the new icon and window for the plug and play installing of hardware?
Yes, I would like to see what you are talking about.

So it seems the driver situation is not as bad as I feared. But if you could obtain a Windows 7 I think that might be preferable.
I am currently going over my list of applications and peripheral hardware to see if they either are compatible with Windows 8 x64 or need to purchase the latest version.
So far only two apps without compatibility but there may be other comparable apps to replace them. Also, my Panasonic KX-p7305 laser printer does not have Windows 8 drivers but does have Win 7 drivers so hopefully will run in Compatibility Mode. If not, then I am not against replacing the still well running but 10 year old Panasonic. Preliminary reading on the internet looks like a Parallel-to-USB cable may not work with Windows 8 64-bit. An inexpensive Samsung duplex laser printer may be in my future. Thankfully the Canon MP830 has Windows 8 64-bit drivers!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This is from my latest install of a Canon printer, the i965. Checking Canon website, it states there are no drivers for Win 8, but plug and play installation works fine. When you plug the printer into the computer, all you see on the screen is a grey icon with something looking like a fridge, at the task bar. As the install progresses the icon gradually turns green. When the install is complete, the icon disappears. If you mouse over the icon, a small window opens. "Enhedsinstallation" means "Device install" or something like that, I don't know the English MS term:

6881_install3.jpg

Clicking the install icon opens this window, which is similar to the plug and play install window in earlier Windows versions. The text translates into something like this, from upper left to lower right: Device install...Installing device...Wait, while the necessary files are being installed on the system. This may last several minutes.....Close.:

6881_install2.jpg

To support CD printing you need the CD label print and the driver add-on-module. You will need to get these from a European Canon site, if you have enabled CD printing on an American Canon printer. The files are named cdlp-win-1_4_2-en and aomwin110ea23. They install and work well without compatibility mode even if they are only available for Win 7 and older.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the information and images.

If I uses a 3rd party CD label application - Acoustica CD Label Maker - do I need to install cdlp-win-1_4_2-en and aomwin110ea23? I have downloaded the Windows 8 compatible drivers, which I assume I will need to use the European printer driver instead of the USA driver to maintain the ability to print to CD's.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think you will need the add-on module. Without it I got this error message when I opened CD label print, to do a test print with my Pixma 5200: "No such printer found". With the add-on-module installed CD label print worked. I think the same printer functionality is needed for a third party CD printing program to run. I think you don't need the CD label print if you don't want it. I think your program will be independent of the CD label print program.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to note, the "plug and play" (pray?) installation relies on Windows Update to complete the process so if you have disabled this process (most folks won't have done) then the installation won't work. Obviously you do need an active internet connection too ;)

Windows has a slew of drivers either built-in to the OS or available on Windows Update that manufacturers say are not supported so it's always worth plugging the device in to see if such a baked in option exists, even if it's without all of the driver settings you might be used to.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I overlooked one of stratman's questions in post #26:

.....I assume I will need to use the European printer driver instead of the USA driver to maintain the ability to print to CD's.
That is a good question. I assumed that the CD print functionality was in the Add-on-module, that's why I recommended getting it from a European Canon site. But maybe the module won't work with an American driver? The question is if the driver supplied by Windows Update is regionalized or is a universal driver for all regions?

I think it will be best to use a driver from Canon UK plus the add-on-module from the same source. But maybe you could try the Windows Update driver with a British add-on-module and report your results? I think this will be of interest for many US forum members when they get Windows 8.

Websnail wrote:

....Windows has a slew of drivers either built-in to the OS or available on Windows Update that manufacturers say are not supported so it's always worth plugging the device in to see if such a baked in option exists, even if it's without all of the driver settings you might be used to.
The drivers I obtained from Windows Update are fully functional with the exception of the add-on-module needed for CD print capability. Windows Update doesn't provide any of the extra programs like CD label print, Easy Photo Print, etc. You will have to download these from Canon if you need/want them.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the added info, PeterBJ. I need a few more components before completing my new build and then will see about installing the printer and getting CD printing functioning. And installing and tweaking everything else - this will be like a part time job.

I tried to find info on aomwin110ea23.exe. Canon does not give much of an explanation other than adds functionality. Googling the executable file it appears it is necessary for disk printing. Thank you for saving me time and aggravation by letting me know about this add-on module!