Epson 3880 uses different chips in USA and in Europe?

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Hope you don't mind me butting in as I have been doing some research on this, and was about to pull the trigger ordering Cone Inks until I saw Joe's comments on refilling with OEM inks. Am currently following that path.

Link below gives some information directly from John Cone. See fourth message. There is much about him and his products on the forums not hard to find. Some negative but for the most part strongly positive. Read the comments -make your own choice.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00XY9Q?start=10

rs

Will you be modifying your own carts or installing some refill carts ?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
CONE sells Refillable Carts that are pretty much identical to other carts for the PRO 3800 / PRO 3880
They need the original chip to connect with their controller chip. Those OEM chips can be fully empty. They are not required to provide anything other than their ID code for whatever number they represent. So you need a Magenta chip for the Magenta Controller chip and so on. They even actually show the ink levels dropping unlike other controller chips who will show you have full carts forever. The ONLY difference between ANY refillable cart for these printers has to do ONLY with they type of controller chip they come with. As I mentioned, in the case of CONE they actually show a drop or ink levels just like OEM chips do. About every other controller chip for these carts will only show FULL. So you have to visually check ink levels.

Now about their inks.
They are actually made in the orient by one lab exclusively for CONE. They are Microencapsulated and have practically the same physical and chemical properties as OEM ( Which are also manufactured in the orient ). Their Gloss characteristics are as good or better than OEM and anything else I have tried.

There are some reported and denied by CONE cases of their Vivid Magenta K3 settling out more than any of the other colors and causing some clogging on printers like the R 2880 and R3000. This a fact.
How to solve this? Agitation and frequent printing. These inks are usually a bit more viscous in nature as the rest of the colors and that may contribute to the problems that have been reported by some.

The next candidate for K3 inks that are also supposedly MicroEncapsulated are the Powerchrome inks form Inktec.
You guys know where to get those as well.

The "Heavyness" of the Vivid Magenta K3 is common and it is also present in OEM inks!

I use nothing but OEM inks which as you all know I get from 220ml and larger carts that I buy from EBAY. So not problem there.
If I had to choose, I would have to pick CONE followed by P.Chrome from Inktec ( I Know they are called by a different name now ) and neck and neck would be Precisioncolors K3 set.

Joe

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Will you be modifying your own carts or installing some refill carts ?

I will be refilling my existing carts with OEM ink purged from larger cartridges sold on eBay. I am a neophyte at this, and if it goes as planned I will be able to refill a 3880 OEM cartridge for somewhere between US$12.00 and $15.00 plus some associated fixed costs like resetters etc.

Our own Joe Toolman has some excellent videos on Youtube with a well described and illustrated technique to do this. The link below takes you to his videos. Look out the later ones on refilling with OEM ink.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA

My thinking is that the longevity advantage with the OEM inks is a definite plus,also compliance with all the OEM published standards without any doubts is a consideration.

If it all goes pear shaped then plan B is: Refill with cone.

It is another learning curve. Happy to hear comment from others who have gone this route or wish to offer advice. Especially concerning resetters which appear to be problematical at this stage.

RS

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
BTW...would anybody try epson's new HD ink, pull out of p800 carts and fill in 3880 carts? Certainly not for economical reason, just to get the ink which epson claims as superior to K3..?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I deliberately do not use ink monitor, I do regular visual check this does three things, first regular maintenance check and second ink agitation and third ink level. With see in carts that is as simple as lifting the ink compartment cover.

Next and MOST important. Cone pigment Ink for the 3880 is encapsulated, that is each pigment particle is encapsulated in a material that gives it a regular shape and isolates it from the next particle. This is a critical part of the formulation and technology associated with Cones' ink.

Raw pigment is irregular in shape and has sharp edges. As a result of that it is prone to being abrasive regardless of the suspension material and is also super prone to packing tightly with its companions when it settles, it takes very little for these irregular particles to pack together into an unbreakable clump. these clumps can and do also pack together and form a mass large enough to block a nozzle.
Cones encapsulation prevents that by having a regular shape and so the particles can move freely past each other without getting hung up and drawn into a clump.

Finally raw pigment is abrasive, much like sandblasting, from the very first charge of raw pigment you are eroding and damaging each nozzle (regardless of brand of printer, its just a physical law)...suggestions that the suspension material prevents this is at best BS, where and how that damage takes place also drives how easy it is for un-encapsulated particles to hang ( much like a tooth cavity). These hung raw particles then act to trap other passing particles and can, and do dry out and cause immovable micro structures that eventually also lead to blockage.

So check if the ink you a purchasing is encapsulated, if it is not you are damaging your print head....FULL STOP!! Please feel free to go tell the Marines otherwise, or ask a fluid dynamics engineer from the chemical industry.

The predisposition of denser pigment lode in some colours to clump (in situations of out and out neglect) is the very reason I gave away mechanical/ electronic ink level monitoring in the first place......an ounce prevention is worth a thousand pounds of maintenance replacement in time, effort and cost.

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Encapsulation is nothing new. Epson has been doing that very thing on all they K2 and K3 and higher pigment ink sets.
The lab ( I believe Chinese ) that manufactures CONE inks is simply applying the same method as EPSON and it is why it is superior to others. It is nothing inherent of just CONE's inks. InkTec is also Microencapsulated and thus has the same characteristics.

Individual encapsulated pigment particles will form a very even and homogenous microscopic layer on top of Glossy paper and since smooth surfaces do not refract light very well, appear to be very glossy. That is the secret of a good pigment base inks when it comes to being used with glossy or papers with sheen. Other inks which are not microencapsulated fail miserably at the gloss game.

But let me just say this. And I agree with you 1000%.
Those who have used CONE inks will come to love them, become fans for life and they will very likely never go back to some other ink source.

I have the luck to have on hand pretty much a life supply of OEM K3 bulk inks so I am set.
But yes CONE is a proven great ink and I highly recommend them.

Joe

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Interesting replies and very informative.

I will go study the videos from @jtoolman

Can someone just answer these bullet points and I am talking the 3880 here

1. I buy Cone Refill Carts - My OEM chips can be empty
  2. I buy Cone Refill Carts, I do not need a chip resetter
  3. I buy Refill Carts from eBay - My OEM chips have to read at least 10%
  4. I buy Refill Carts from eBay, I do need a chip resetter

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Interesting replies and very informative.

I will go study the videos from @jtoolman

Can someone just answer these bullet points and I am talking the 3880 here

1. I buy Cone Refill Carts - My OEM chips can be empty = Yes
  2. I buy Cone Refill Carts, I do not need a chip resetter = Yes
  3. I buy Refill Carts from eBay - My OEM chips have to read at least 10% = No Idea - depends on the type of controller chip the carts come with. Some require it and some do not.
  4. I buy Refill Carts from eBay, I do need a chip resetter = No you do not

You only need a resetter and have to have your original chips above 15% IF you are planning to modify, reset and refill your original OEM carts.
Refillable carts DO NOT require a chip resetter. They either auto reset, stay full 100% of the time, reset to full upon either a power down and up or removing the cart and reinserting them. There are tons of configurations out there.

Joe

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
You only need a resetter and have to have your original chips above 15% IF you are planning to modify, reset and refill your original OEM carts.
Refillable carts DO NOT require a chip resetter. They either auto reset, stay full 100% of the time, reset to full upon either a power down and up or removing the cart and reinserting them. There are tons of configurations out there.

Joe

Just adding to Joes' already comprehensive outline of your options. Cone (Inkjetmall) website is packed with info on how to get started and what to look for if you are really interested in going forward with this. From what personal info you have provided Cones Black carbon pigment inks may be of interest. I am in the throes of adding a second 3880 and his B&W effects are sensational.
They would be chuffed to hear from you and will readily respond to calls for information and assistance.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I hear what @jtoolman is saying but iim still a little confused, according to MarruttUSA, they state
Please note: Chips from genuine Epson cartridges from this printer that have at least 10% of ink remaining are required.

http://www.marruttusa.com/printer/rcs/epson-stylus-pro-3880-refill.php

The Cones Black carbon pigment inks look very interesting but in order for me to go down this route, I would buy another 3880 and dedicate that to black and white

I have obtained a nice 60ml syringe and adaptors this morning,from Martin. I have also bought a 220ml PK ink cart from a 7800, all I need now is to get my head round this chip business and buy a refill cart.