Epson 3880 uses different chips in USA and in Europe?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Harry there was a time when CONE would sell chips at $20 each!!!! They don't even do that any longer. Chips that are not empty are extremely rare and hard to find. I could imagine your only source would be another PRO 3880 user who would sell you his 2/3 empty carts. I have not seen anything being offered along those lines anywhere lately.
Before I started publicizing my modification, empties were easily available. Not any more.

Joe

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I have a customer who bought 6 brand NEW 3880 carts in order to take the chips and use them to switch to refillable carts..
He sold the ink bags on eBay and still got a nice amount of money for it

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
@jtoolman:
Thanks for your extensive explanation regarding the "market" for empty Epson carts.
With respect to this subject I have the following questions:
- so far I always managed to reset all 38xx chips to full, even coming from absolutely empty carts.
Is it really true that when carts get empty (under 15% content) that it is no longer possible to reset their chips?
- is there any "communication" in the 3880 whereby the printer can discover that the ink being used is no OEM Epson ink? I don't think so but just to make sure!
Harry

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
My experience with the PRO 3800 ( not the PRO 3880 ) is that most of the carts ( EMPTY ) I bought through ebay could not be reset. By that I mean they would appear to reset but the printer would not recognize them as being genuine but I could "ByPass" that and continue to use them. But every time I tried to print I would have to go through the process of "continuing".

All the resetters regardless of source will claim that your cart chips must be above 15%. Is that absolutely true? Don't really know!

Printers has no clue what you've put into those carts. You could fill them with milk for all it matters. Your print heads would probably die in the process but the printer would not know you put anything else in them other then ink.

If you were in the USA you could buy T58 carts for about $29 free shipping from:

http://stores.ebay.com/Cellinkntoner?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Price will differ up and down. Check them out to see whether they will ship to you.

Joe

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
Joe, I just found some empty carts 3880 for sale.
Exactly the 5 carts, out of 8 which I bought in the USA and that have been refused by my printer.
I bought at $8,00/each.
As soon as I receive them I will have another experience with resetting totally empty carts.
I hope for the best!
I will keep you informed!
Harry

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
HARRY..........THERE IS ONLY ONE INK SELLER THAT HAS THE 3880 nailed 100% and that is CONE!
EVERYONE who stuffs around trying others ends up paying MORE for refilling than using OEM carts.
If Cone went out of business I would quit printing.......end of story.

In your own experience, what do you believe Cone has done to get it right ?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,

Regret delay in responding, rather a lot going on at the moment but now here goes.

First up Jon Cone knows the 3880 inside out. He has a professional reputation to maintain as a Printer,Photographer and not least Guru. So just from the kick off this fella has a lot at stake, its not just ink sales that wobble if he gets it wrong. I believe an AWFUL lot of research went on related to sourcing and formulation. It is rumoured I stress rumoured that his source sits on the top shelf alongside Epson OEM, how true that is I cant vouch for or against....I just do not know!

Next he did his homework and proved the ink BEFORE launching onto the market. When he did it carried his credibility with it, so a number of key people gave it a road test. Many were detractors and went into it with gusto. Here the product scored 10 for nil against.

Then there is time, a bunch of folks have used it exclusively and with all manner of papers and most more than ready to complain or nit pick.....Strongest and most common complaint is its dearer than other 3rd party inks........Well hells Bells!! I purchased and shipped from the USA enough to do 112 refills, at what I pay for OEM carts that is A$ 11,137.50, versus a TOTAL outlay of A$1,200.00 or about A$10 per cart.

Last edited:

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Does the same rule apply for the Cone inks, the OEM chip has to register about 10% full ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Gees, and I taught I had problems on my Pro 1, at least I can get one time compatible chips that work with no difficulties every time, each of these Pro printers seem to have their own little spectre.. :hit

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

Hope you don't mind me butting in as I have been doing some research on this, and was about to pull the trigger ordering Cone Inks until I saw Joe's comments on refilling with OEM inks. Am currently following that path.

Link below gives some information directly from John Cone. See fourth message. There is much about him and his products on the forums not hard to find. Some negative but for the most part strongly positive. Read the comments -make your own choice.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00XY9Q?start=10

rs