CLI-8 and CLI-521/526 swap

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Martijn said:
This is fascinating. Do you notice a difference in print quality when using cartridges not meant for the specific printer? I imagine Canon doesn't use the same ink formula for CLI-8 and CLI-526.
Why should there be a difference in print quality, we only changing the cartridges not the ink.:)

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Martijn said:
I imagine Canon doesn't use the same ink formula for CLI-8 and CLI-526.
We refill our cartridges, so it doesn't matter what ink formula Canon used.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Test print some time before the transformation:
<--- click to enlarge
Now:
<--- click to enlarge

Does it know what I've done to it? :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Were the test prints made with the same version of the service tool?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Only v3200 and v3400 work on this printer and they have the same output. The numbers written in magenta increase as I print.

This is with a new set of cartridges (refilled):
< click to enlarge

Pigment black still has a magenta "OK", the rest turned black.

Oh, before I changed the cartridges, yellow had a magenta "OK" too. Photo black was the only one that had a black "OK", but I guess it eventually would have turned magenta.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I checked some Canon service manuals, but didn't find any information about how to interpret these AB values in the service test print. The only information I found was this: "AB (K = OK Y = OK ...): Ink system check result".

I think these values might be calculated by counting nozzle firings or comparing chip info to the status of the prism ink indicator. With the larger PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges the prism is still dark meaning ink in the ink reservoir when the reservoir ought to be empty. This condition would normally indicate a problem with inkflow, as too little ink seems to have been used. If no resetter was used this could also mean that a cartridge was refilled. The primary purpose of the AB values might be to detect refilling, as the older iP4000 which uses unchipped cartridges doesn't have the AB values.

I guess you would get the same reaction with the AB values, if you block the prisms on the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges with black tape, if you want to test my theory.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just an update: it prints perfectly, no problems with the extra weight. :) I still get a red "OK" for PIGBk, the rest are black (test print in service mode).

Brian?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tudor said:
Just an update: it prints perfectly, no problems with the extra weight. :) I still get a red "OK" for PIGBk, the rest are black (test print in service mode).

Brian?
Mine is still printing perfectly well also after using two complete refills, no problems to report either..:)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
big congrats to both on successful surgeries !

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I got an update on this cartridge swap and taught you all would like to know.
I ran one of my cartridges dry the other day to see what would happen and boy it did.

The low ink warning came up as normal when the reservoir became empty but this is where it came interesting and surprising too, because at this point I would normally just change out the cartridge.

I expected the printer to eventfully show the out of ink warning and stop but no it didnt why, well I dont really know ?

Because these cartridges are bigger it shouldnt have made any difference but it somehow did, I watched it carefully because I was running a complete A4 solid cyan colour so I knew that the cartridge was getting very low on ink.

What eventfully happen was the sponge drained of nearly all the ink inside (Like a purge) and the printouts became lighter and lighter as I allow the printer to continue till the output became blank, void of any cyan ink. (No worries the print head is fine)

I have never experienced the like of this before with any of my printers but while having the larger cartridge does give more ink capacity and less stoppages, I'll have to watch this printer from now on and make sure I dont leave it alone while printing, because it clearly demonstrated that it wont stop when it runs out of ink. (Sensor Disabled)

You definitely learn something new every time you alter one of these printers,
like when using a CISS it has a tendency to dump a LOT of ink into the waste pads; everything seems to have its own unique side effects, so beware..