CLI-8 and CLI-521/526 swap

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder if this behaviour is related to the problem mentioned by Tudor in posts #53 and #55? The larger ink chamber might make the printer "assume" there is an ink flow problem, as the ink chamber still contains ink when it ought to be empty. Maybe this causes problems for ink monitoring?

Maybe the CLI-8 cartridge has a reduced sponge capacity due to many refills? Purging the cartridge should then solve the problem.

Is it possible to fit a CLI-521 or CLI-526 in the modified printer and see how it behaves with the original cartridge?

It seems a good idea to change the cartridge when you get the low ink warning, as this seem to still work.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The Hat said:
...it clearly demonstrated that it wont stop when it runs out of ink. (Sensor Disabled)
What do you mean by "sensor disabled"? Was the ink monitor disabled (5+ seconds push on the red triangle button)?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
The Hat said:
...it clearly demonstrated that it wont stop when it runs out of ink. (Sensor Disabled)
What do you mean by "sensor disabled"? Was the ink monitor disabled (5+ seconds push on the red triangle button)?
I havent got a clue as to why the printer didnt stop before the cartridge became empty,
which it should have done under normal circumstances, thats why I said Sensor Disabled. (Guessing)

The prism sensor kicked in correctly when the reservoir became empty and whats suppose to happen then is after a certain limited amount of droplets used the cartridge is declared empty, remember a refilled cartridge usually holds far more ink in them than new OEMs anyway.

My cartridge was full and the chip was reset to full also so any guesses as to what went wrong, can the EPROM chip detect the larger volume of ink being used and if so why then does it not effect CISS operations or maybe it does, is there any link to the two ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Give it one more go and inspect carefully for this. Once could be an aberration, two or three times the same, then there starts a confidence level of such behavior.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
Give it one more go and inspect carefully for this. Once could be an aberration, two or three times the same, then there starts a confidence level of such behavior.
Would you like to try and explain that again, but this time in inkjet English ? :barnie :hu

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sometimes weird things happen and then not again. Maybe something happened that won't again; if it happens again then maybe for sure something funny is happening. If it happens a third time, then you be pretty pretty sure that it is definitely something going on and you know exactly what is taking place.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I suggest to also try other CLI-8 cartridges. The cartridge that showed the odd behaviour might be in the need of a flushing. If your other CLI-8 cartridges that behave normally in printers intended for these cartridges, also misbehave in the modified printer, then it is plausible that an "anti CISS routine" is kicking in. You never know what bright ideas Canon engineers put into the firmware, to prevent refilling and CISS use.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
Sometimes weird things happen and then not again. Maybe something happened that won't again; if it happens again then maybe for sure something funny is happening. If it happens a third time, then you be pretty pretty sure that it is definitely something going on and you know exactly what is taking place.
Ah Ha now that you have explained that in plain English I understand it completely as these things tend to happen to me a lot
and I always find them funny too, but I never really know whats happening at all.. :ep

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, is not the same thing happening when you top off a cartridge and not reset. In these cases, eventually the optical sensor still kicks in, at least in the past. This is why this situation is weird and needs to be explored. The other possibility is that PeterBJ is onto something. That the sponges in the 221 etc are meant to carry more ink? and that your CLi-8 real capacity is diminished for some reason. So if you try with cartridges that are known to be in excellent shape, then a conclusion may be drawm. As they say "Rinse" and repeat.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It seems some measurements could be useful, to determine ink chamber and sponge capacities of a CLI-8 cartridge, so could anybody provide the weight of a new and unused Canon CLI-8 cartridge, and indicate whether the weight is with or without the orange clip and vent sealing tape?