CISS plug broke - ink all over

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The ink system on your printer has nothing to do with the chips on your cartridges, when you get this message there is one thing you can try that may work first.

Remove the cyan cartridge and clean the contacts of the chip with a rubber eraser then re-insert the cartridge, power off the printer and wait 5 minutes then power on again to see if the cyan cartridge is now accepted.

If that doesn’t work try removing all the cartridges and then re-inserting them one by one again, but don’t leave the cyan cartridge till last..

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thanks Hat. I thought it was going to work because as I was reinserting the cartridges one by one it was recognizing each one of them including the one I am having trouble with - Cyan 98/99. It went down from 6 unrecognized to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. And then when I put the last cartridge in and turned it off and back on then the Cyan came back on as unrecognized even though earlier in the sequence it had been recognized.
I'm confused. Any further thoughts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It just sounds like a glitch and not much more, so try leaving it powered off over night, it may not even be the cyan chip that's causing the problem.. :hu

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Okay - it's been powered off for several nights. I'll try again since I just did the cartridge sequence. if that doesn't work maybe I can uninstall and reinstall the printer itself.
Thanks for your help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@annel, This little bug is in your printer and not on your computer, so uninstalling the driver wont have any effect on your problem, but never say never..o_O

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Right.....sorry - I'm pretty challenged when it comes to following the ins and outs of all this. Maybe I will end up needing new cartridges for my ink system or maybe it is time to just put the Artisan to rest.
I'll try giving it some more time. I have thought things were dead before only to have them resurrect.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If it’s not dead then don’t kill it off just yet, it deserves that much..:hugs

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
True.

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Well, I'm really at my wits end. I let it sit for a day. Then I removed all the CISS cartridges, cleaned the gold wire contacts that the Cyan cartridge connects to, and replaced each cartridge one by one - turning off and unplugging the printer between each cartridge. I put the Cyan cartridge in first and it appeared to recognize it once again - showing 5, then 4, then 3, then 2 then 1 missing - and then after putting the last one in and turning it on it goes back and says Cyan is missing. I don't get it. How can it recognize it all the way until the last cartridge is inserted and then decide not to recognize it again? It makes no sense.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The way the chips system works is when each cartridge is inserted in the print head the chip will light up, but that does not mean that this cartridge is ok, it must first pass the sensor to get verified as legitimate.

Try inserting only the cyan cartridge and close the top cover and then read the on screen message, this is the only way to know for certain if the printer will accept this chip and cartridge or not.

The chips on any of these cartridges can give out all sorts of individual reading to the printer so it may not be the cyan chip that’s causing this constant error to appear at all, but the one thing you could try is to replace the pesky cyan chip and see if that error changes any.

Epson printers are notorious for giving out this type of stupid error for no apparent reason..