CISS plug broke - ink all over

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Hi. Things have gone from bad to worse from user error here. I have a piano book CISS with my Artisan 710. I was trying to pull the plugs out one by one and clear the lines of any air bubbles. When I got to cyan I could not get the plug out. In trying to do so I punctured a hole in it. Stupid me - I thought I could put scotch tape over it and all would be well. Not so. I ran one print and there was cyan ink all over the table that my printer sits on. Fortunately I do keep a towel under it.
I am not exactly sure where the ink exited. I don't know if it came through the waste ink tank or someplace else. I took the CISS cartridge set out and it does not appear to have seeped out the top of the cart.
I am not sure what my next step is. Obviously I will have to find a better way to plug my cyan cart. But that is only if I can salvage my printer first.
I have never taken it apart to install a printer potty - however I do have one ready to install - I just haven't done it. Maybe that would have helped.
Does anyone have any thoughts on where the cyan ink exited based on my description and what I should do next to get my printer working again?
Thanks for any help!!
Anne

Ionlab

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF3540
My guess is that under the printer head rest area is where the ink slowly got out....try to see if you can find the service manual in order to assess the difficulty to get there....does the printer work?

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thanks. It worked to print one page but I haven't tried it since because I figure it could be dangerous if there is ink around the electrical circuits. Maybe I can do a little more investigating now that it has been sitting for a day.

Ionlab

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF3540
Last edited:

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Wow - how wonderfully kind of you. Thank-you! I will probably not get a chance to work on it until Saturday but I will post the results and I hope to have success. I really appreciate these videos. :)

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi. Things have gone from bad to worse from user error here. I have a piano book CISS with my Artisan 710. I was trying to pull the plugs out one by one and clear the lines of any air bubbles. When I got to cyan I could not get the plug out. In trying to do so I punctured a hole in it. Stupid me - I thought I could put scotch tape over it and all would be well. Not so. I ran one print and there was cyan ink all over the table that my printer sits on. Fortunately I do keep a towel under it.
I am not exactly sure where the ink exited. I don't know if it came through the waste ink tank or someplace else. I took the CISS cartridge set out and it does not appear to have seeped out the top of the cart.
I am not sure what my next step is. Obviously I will have to find a better way to plug my cyan cart. But that is only if I can salvage my printer first.
I have never taken it apart to install a printer potty - however I do have one ready to install - I just haven't done it. Maybe that would have helped.
Does anyone have any thoughts on where the cyan ink exited based on my description and what I should do next to get my printer working again?
Thanks for any help!!
Anne

Plugs are on the way....
Leonard

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thanks Leonard. As you suggested I am cleaning it out and letting it sit for awhile. Hoping that along with replacing the rubber seal I will get my Artisan back in order. I would love to keep using my trusty Piano Book and Artisan 710 - even while venturing out with the Canon Pro 100. That set up has served me amazingly well for 6 or 7 years now.
I did decide not to go with the used one on ebay after talking with you. Too risky to spend that much without knowing the history of the printer.
I'll post if I am able to get my Epson working again. I had it going for a couple prints but then got the Cyan message again so hoping it is due to not having a proper seal.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes Leonards' the man, he values and looks after his customers well, the perfect Gent.. :hugs

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Any ideas? I got the seals (thanks Leonard!). I cleaned the carts and the contacts that the carts connect with. Cleaned the resting pad that the printhead sits on. Put the new seal in and turned the printer on - still get the same message - Cyan tank is not recognized. I am wondering if perhaps a small piece of the rubber seal may have gotten into the ink tank when it broke off initially. Does anyone know if this would cause the tank to not be recognized?
Thanks for any ideas on what I might still try. For a reminder this is the Piano Book CISS I am working with on the Epson Artisan 710.