Chip resetter for pgi 220 and cli 221....

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@ Frankd1

Different resetters are required for the PGI5/CLI8 and for the PGI220/CLI221 series of cartridges, so before you buy check to be sure you get the right one. The resetters look similar but are different electrically, so one intended for resetting the older PGI5/CLI8 cartridges won't work with the newer PGI220/CLI221 cartridges and vice versa.

Peter

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
hey frank i noticed the same thing before i ordered, their discription is a little confusing as to which resetter works on which cartridges, so i contacted them first to confirm the item # i was going to order would work on the 220/221 cartridges, they confirmed it in an email that way if there was an issue i still had their reply, as i never ordered from them before, also look close at their listings as it appears that the same resetter is listed for 2 different prices

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok thanks mrelmo!
So far you have been happy with the resetter and it has been working well? I can't remember but can the battery on this one be changed if required?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
hmmmm i haven't even looked at replacing the battery yet, but it is working fine, i'll take a look later and see about battery replacement

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok after looking at the resetter there are no screws on the bottom, so if and when the battery goes dead i will just pry it apart and put it back together with screws as has been done with other resetters

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
ok after looking at the resetter there are no screws on the bottom, so if and when the battery goes dead i will just pry it apart and put it back together with screws as has been done with other resetters
With regard to converting to a base that is screwed in place I would bring to your attention the following:-

It was my intention , (after buying a " Red Resetter " in partnership with my son) , to convert to screw base as shown on this Forum , I even got the 4 self-tapping screws ready and kept them in a box along with a spare battery.

When after about a year it seemed to be time to change the battery , my son took charge of the operation , (being more patient and gentle than I ) , using a small penknife he went around the base attempting to lever the base away from the body in very , very small steps. Listening to the gradual breaking sound of the internal lugs away from the main body locating points , as they appear to be only lightly glued/heat welded in place. The lugs came away fairly cleanly , and were not cleaned up at all for reassembly. The fit is such that the conversion to screws has not been , (at the moment) , necessary , there is enough friction between the lugs and their locating holes to not require screws or addition of fresh adhesive.

Should it become loose then there is still the screw option available , but just popping the base off is more convenient than unscrewing the 4 screws, it is possible to save some work if you are careful.

vyccid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Frankd1 said:
I'm looking for a chip resetter for the pgi 220/cli 221 series of cartridges, what are people using these days that seems to work well? This is for an MP560....
I just got a MX-870 (MP-780 died) and picked up a resetter from amazon (new account, can't link, but search "bisontec resetter pgi220" it's the blue one sold by bisontec) Reset 2 chips this week, no complaints. It looks like the same one, changing the battery will not be easy, but the price is great ($9) and shipping up north seems quite reasonable. Good luck.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Frankd1 said:
So far you have been happy with the resetter and it has been working well? I can't remember but can the battery on this one be changed if required?
My experience is that with the resetter I got (no doubt different), it would be relatively easy to open up the enclosure to replace the battery. YMMV.

This refilling newbie writes this to my shame, as I messed up and wasn't able to get the resetter to work at first. No confirmation flash from the resetter, and the printer wasn't recognizing that the cart was now full. Drat.

I thought the battery might be dead, so pried it upen with a butter knife, carefully. The battery was fine, so I put it back together with no problem. No screws involved.

So I wrestled with it some more, and it turned out my technique was wrong ... backwards. IIRC, I had to take off the outlet port cap to get it to fit correctly, which is what threw me off. Maybe the original Canon orange break-off outlet caps fit that resetter ok ???

I use the #1813 outlet port caps from R-Jet Tek that came with their starter kit, and they didn't seem completely compatible with the resetter I purchased from them. But that could be a PEBKAC-like operator error.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I am a bit mystified regarding your reference to outlet port caps not "fitting the resetter". Provided the cart is intact and the ink fill points has not yet been opened , or have been resealed after you refilled , there should be no need to have the Orange outlet port caps on the cart , they are only required to be in place before you open up for a "top " ink re-fill. They are removed after you have re-sealed the refill hole.

The resetter will not properly allow the cart to sit properly on the chip terminals. if there is a Canon Orange Cap or 3rd party similar on the cart .............Or have I misunderstood ??