Canon Pixma 9000 "An ink tank error has occurred" -- replacing=no help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Another option would be to swap the chip for an OEM chip from an old OEM Black cartridge, reset it and carry on using his compatibles.. :)

ivanalbright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay, I think I have solved the problem. It appears the issue was the GREEN cartridge. Even though the light was lit normally and the printer driver never popped up any information on screen showing the green had any issues. Also, the green was still about 75% full, had been in the printer and working for at least a week or two, and whenever an error had popped up previously, it had pointed to the black cartridge...

I found this out by trying one last ditch effort, I took all 8 of the cartridges from my other (working) pixma 9000, and popped them all in the non-working printer. Surprisingly it started working perfectly right away. Then I replaced the cartridges one by one until I discovered the green was the only one that caused the error to show up.

So all is well, even though this was still a strange error with no indication of the problem. I'm guessing that green cartridge just had a bad chip that failed randomly.

On the plus side to this ordeal, I did place a small order from precision colors for a refurbished canon cartridge and some bulk ink and will try out refilling to see how easy/time consuming it is and how the costs match up.

Thanks for all of the excellent help guys!

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Ivan we have been using what you have ordered, OEM carts & IS inks for a long time with no problems at all & the costs are silly low once you get going. The only fiddly part is making the cart ready for top filling & from then on it's easy & no mess (normally after the first few refills) Good luck mate.