Canon MP540 - Strange magenta inkflow problem

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBj a most interesting and informative thread from all concerned. Lots of useful ponters to check in the future.

I have also had problems with ink starvation with Magenta but not had these large print runs to blame. I usually changed the cart and it solved the problem.

I should not rush to change your filling preference I have tried all 3 German/topfill/freedom and found in my experience the German system the least troublesome. I always drill my 1mm holes (hand drill) low down so that I can slide the needle along the bottom of the cart without disturbing the sponge I did draw a drilling template to ensure the hole was in the right place but others drill much higher up. As I have used BC-6/CL-8/PGI-520 up to now this is easy to see. The new opaques on HP/Canon make this idea more difficult. When using topfill and low profile plugs I had a cyan one pull out on my MP620 so replaced it with a German filled one
Anyway your problems and the solving of them have been of great interest and produced a lot of useful information for members of this forum

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
After flushing and drying the cartridge, I have tried poking around in the sponge using a blunt needle, and watching what little can be can be seen of the sponges through the transparent end wall. The sponges appear to be firmly wedged in the cartridges, so they do not appear to shift position easily. That makes an air lock the most probable cause of the malfunction.
Interesting. If it's true that new (non-refilled) OEM cartridges [are not completely filled but still] never have this problem, then that leaves us without a good explanation of how the airlock formed.

EDIT: words in brackets added later.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ:

Great job resolving your problem! You may very well have had an air-lock bubble. It could have been the sponges out of alignment but because your cartridge is opaque we can't be sure. Fortunately, it seems the fix for either issue is the same.

I have used only blunt needles and have had ink starvation once. I don't think this is a blunt versus sharp issue but one of technique, ie needle skills, concerning sponge displacement. Torquing on the needle may push against the sponge and cause displacement. this effect could be cumulative or a single event. It might also be related to where one makes there Durchstich refilling hole.

Can you post an image showing the location of your Durchstich refilling hole on the cartridge?

Again, great job resolving your problem and documenting everything for the forum. :woot :clap

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
ThrillaMozilla wrote:
Interesting. If it's true that new (non-refilled) OEM cartridges never have this problem, then that leaves us without a good explanation of how the airlock formed.
I have noticed that the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 have the ink reservoir completely filled, as opposed to the older BCI-3e/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges. If the reservoir were not completely filled, maybe an air bubble could be trapped in a wrong place and cause problems. If you refill using the German method and SquEasyFill bottles and don't do it right you might accidentally inject air in the ink channel at the bottom of the cartridge between the sponge side and the reservoir side. I think "operator error" is to blame for the malfunction. It might well have been one of the first cartridges i refilled using the SquEasyFill bottles. There is a learning curve to everything and practise makes perfect.

stratman wrote:
Can you post an image showing the location of your Durchstich refilling hole on the cartridge?
Here it is, click to enlarge:

I drill the 1.5 mm or 1/16" hole in the middle between the > < markings, so the needle penetrates the sponge, as recommended by some. I know that others prefer to drill as close to the bottom as possible and slide the needle under the sponge. I don't know what is best.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also think there is less risk of separating the lower sponge and the outlet filter that way.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla said:
I don't have any data on this, but I just wouldn't ever put tap water into a cartridge, especially pigment ink, which could flocculate and become impossible to remove.

For one thing, tap water has so many dissolved solids that could be deposited in the print head in response to drying. In particular, calcium salts precipitated from hard water can be quite hard to remove. Ammonia certainly isn't going to touch them.
I use tap water all the time to clean out my cartridges with no ill effects whatsoever and when clean of ink
I put in a few drops of alcohol which I found helps clear out most of the water when I apply air through the air maze.

It also fair to point out that the water I use is ph neutral and softer than a babys bottom;
some of my BCI-6 cartridges go back ten years or so.

I am confirmed top filler and dont see a need to change what works for me,
yes it has its critics and drawbacks but they are usually easy fixed.

I havent had a disaster in ages so I may be due one soon.
So happy Refilling.. :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am looking at an unused OEM CLi 8 cyan and the ink tank is completely full to the top and the foam full to within 1/8 inch of the top.

There may be a difference, between the inks, in the rate at which bubbles disperse, which could influence the risk of bubble starvation.

Do the inks contain additives to reduce surface tension? This would reduce the tendency to foam, which is noticeable in some refill inks and seems to vary a bit with colour.

On the subject of walking around with an ink stained mouth, I have found that a lens puffer, without the brush, directed at the cartridge vent without contact, from about 1/4 inch away, is capable of ejecting a drop of ink from the cartridge outlet. This probably saves ink as well.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am using a small 2" dia puffer.

Thinking about it, the EMU impulse puffer test gives an indication of several aspects of the state of the cartridge.

One puff shows

The vent system is open

The foam is not clogged

The outlet is free flowing even with short impulses

It is unlikely that the foam/pad interface is disrupted, this may require more than one puff

It may also dislodge a bubble in the transfer port

And other things not yet apparent!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator On the subject of walking around with an ink stained mouth,
Cyan mouths are totally acceptable here where as Foul mouth are completely the wrong colour altogether.. :gig :lol: